`Knight's Tale' Clich

And that's what sets "A Knight's Tale" apart -- it's a medieval tale that blatantly trades historical accuracy for adventure, contemporary comedy and a slammin' '70s soundtrack.

The film stars Heath Ledger ("The Patriot") as William Thatcher, a peasant who doesn't have the noble pedigree required to joust. Will takes on a dead knight's identity and sets out for the title.

While some moviegoers will be jarred at hearing "Takin' Care of Business" and "Low Rider" in a 15th-century setting, others will love the sense of irreverence it creates.

Either way, "A Knight's Tale" is an interesting move for writer/director Brian Helgeland, who won an Oscar for "L.A. Confidential" in 1998. No one could really say that it's a step up.

"A Knight's Tale" has a simple, time-tested plot and a script full of ridiculous proclamations like "I've waited my whole life for this moment!"

The characters are all old standbys as well, with newcomer Shannyn Sossamon as Will's feisty noble love interest. The cat-eyed Sossamon over-acts, but does well for someone with no film credits to her name.

The ensemble cast of Will's entourage (Paul Bettany, Laura Fraser, Mark Addy and Alan Tudyk) is comic and clever as a bunch of clashing old-English personalities.

And the numerous jousting scenes are impressive, with each lance-splintering blow felt with dramatic effect. But other aspects of the movie seem a little more out of place -- a funky dance sequence set to David Bowie elicits an "I can't believe they really put this in the movie" reaction.

And although the movie runs through every cliche about love and heroism and good versus evil in the book, it's still a stirring story for those who wear their hearts on their sleeves.

It won't change anyone's life or even win any Oscars -- but it wasn't intended to. If you're looking for a fun film to entertain you for a couple of hours without gross-out tactics or an irritating cast of teen superstars, "A Knight's Tale" is your ticket.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.