David Horowitz to Deliver Speech at UNC

His speech will focus on the effect teach-ins and anti-war protests have had on student perception of the attacks.

National conservatives such as Horowitz criticized UNC's reaction to the terrorist attacks as being anti-American and demoralizing to the nation's war effort.

Horowitz, the editor of FrontPageMagazine.com, a conservative online magazine, first sparked a nationwide debate on college campuses last spring after he solicited college newspapers to run his advertisement denouncing slave reparations.

He said he wants the opportunity to speak to further clarify his opinions, which have generated criticism across the country. "I'm going to UNC so people can see the person who has been smeared and character assassinated," Horowitz said.

He also challenged Chancellor James Moeser, who has been an advocate of free speech despite criticism for the teach-ins, to support him in the same manner.

After The Daily Tar Heel published an op-ed piece by Horowitz denouncing slave reparations last spring, Moeser openly criticized Horowitz's views but defended his right to free speech. "This is an open invitation to Chancellor Moeser to come and introduce me in a civil manner," Horowitz said.

He added that he thinks UNC does not have an atmosphere that is accepting of more than one view. "This is the worst American universities have ever been, and UNC is one of the worst," he said.

Stephen Brooks, director of operations for the Center for the Study of Popular Culture, of which Horowitz is president, said he thinks the speech will be an opportunity for naysayers and supporters alike to hear Horowitz's full argument. "No matter where you stand, it will be good to hear it straight from him," he said.

Rheta Burton, president of the College Republicans, said she expects Horowitz's speech to address anti-war movements on U.S. campuses.

She said he most likely will draw parallels between UNC and University of California-Berkeley, where he protested in the 1960s. Horowitz is a former left-wing activist who participated in anti-war demonstrations in college. She said that although she expects some protesters, she encourages faculty members and students to attend the speech. The speech will be held at 7 p.m. Nov. 28 in Memorial Hall.

Burton said, "I'm hoping it will be more of an intellectual discussion that brings up the anti-war movements on college campuses, not his past arguments."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.