Water Restrictions Go Into Effect for Orange County

"The water supply is a serious matter that requires attention and the community's cooperation," said Ed Kerwin, executive director of OWASA. "It has never been this low this early."

The restrictions have been put in place to reduce the consumption rate of the diminishing water supply, which has reached its lowest point ever for this time of year. Area water usage has increased dramatically in recent months compared to the last four years. Rainfall levels are relatively low during the summer months, making chances for replenishment slim.

"We need more than a little bit of rain -- this isn't something that can be fixed right away," said Greg Feller, OWASA public affairs administrator. "But while we can't control what Mother Nature does, people in the community can control their own water usage."

Nature, however, might help the situation with the most active part of the hurricane season approaching.

"The moisture from a hurricane would be a really good thing," said WTVD meteorologist Gary McGrady. "The widespread rain it would bring would not break the drought entirely, but it would help a lot. However, with a hurricane you take the good with the bad. Something easier to deal with, like a tropical storm, would be ideal."

Under the restrictions, OWASA customers must limit their outdoor water usage to three days a week, using only an inch per week and only after dusk or before dawn. Properties with odd-numbered street addresses should water Monday, Wednesday and Friday and even-numbered addresses on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. However, these restrictions do not apply to the use of hand-held hoses or watering cans.

Additionally, restaurants cannot serve OWASA water except on request, and using water to clean "impervious surfaces" -- such as tables, countertops and floors -- is prohibited.

Although the University does not fall under the town restrictions, it has devised an equivalent plan to accommodate the water shortage.

Police officers and OWASA staff will enforce the restrictions soon after OWASA has had time to inform the public of the changes. Violators can face up to $100 in fines and service disconnection.

"The water shortage impacts the entire community, and we plan to work jointly with OWASA and offer them our assistance," said Florentine Miller, Chapel Hill assistant town manager.

OWASA officials stress that disconnection will only occur after "repeated and willful" violations.

For now, OWASA is making its decisions assuming there will not be enough additional rainfall to alleviate the drought any time soon and are confident that water conservation will be successful.

Feller said, "In the past when there have been droughts, people responded. This community has strong conservation values."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.