Locals debate alcohol policies

Locals from all different areas of the Chapel Hill community are engaging in a fight against underage drinking, but there is less consensus on the extent of the problem and the best way to fight its upward trend.

Some Chapel Hill Town Council members have supported a statewide beer keg registration policy that would require merchants to track keg purchases, allowing law enforcement officials to prosecute those who supply alcohol to minors.

“This is a nationwide issue, pervasive through all of the community, not just college towns,” said council member Jim Ward, who first requested that keg registration be added to the council’s legislative requests in February.

Twenty-three other states and the District of Columbia now have similar registration policies.

But concerned parents such as Dale Pratt-Wilson, who formed the Committee for Alcohol- and Drug-Free Teenagers, say better community interaction might be a more practical solution.

“There’s a tremendous amount the council and the community can do to address the issue,” she said.

Pratt-Wilson’s group told the council in December that to curb underage substance abuse, officials might hire additional Alcohol Law Enforcement officers, increase educational programs in schools and establish more substance-abuse treatment facilities in the county.

Area high school officials recently reviewed changes to their substance abuse policy, advocating more preventive measures.

“This is the first time … where this kind of energy has been put into … the need to address substance abuse,” said Stephanie Willis, health services coordinator for Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools.

She said substance-abuse worries always existed but were revitalized with Pratt-Wilson’s committee.

Pratt-Wilson said substance abuse is not just a local problem, but a national epidemic. Bill Patterson of the Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation in Chapel Hill said such concerns are not unfounded.

He said that in North Carolina, the total cost resulting from underage drinking is about $1.3 billion.

A survey conducted last year showed that 52 percent of Chapel Hill high school students consumed alcohol within one month of the survey — 8 percentage points above the national average.

Those results sparked much of the recent controversy, Willis said, though she said the results might be exaggerated because only 134 students were polled. A more comprehensive survey taken from about 3,000 high school students will be released at the end of May, she said.

Willis said she stands behind efforts to fight substance abuse and thinks that it is a problem everywhere, not just in college towns.

But Tony Mills, assistant supervisor at the state ALE office in Raleigh, said is hard to ignore that there is a larger underage population in a college town. “You see more citations in college-town areas … because of their populations.”

There are two ALE officers responsible for Chapel Hill. Pratt-Wilson’s committee will continue its efforts at a meeting later this month.