University voices spring with start of season

A cappella groups kick off concerts

The birds aren't the only ones singing as UNC's a cappella season kicks into high gear.

Many groups are presenting their marquee concerts as the year draws to a close.

"Spring is definitely the busier semester for us," said Cassie Criswell, concert manager for the Loreleis.

The group, UNC's oldest female a cappella organization, presented its spring concert Sunday in Memorial Hall.

The group used its first appearance in the hall since the renovations to present fans with new material.

The concert also served as the platform for the release of the group's latest album, Downstairs.

"We're really excited about it," Criswell said. "It's a new sound for us - we kind of took a chance."

The University's all-male a capella groups are in full swing as well. The Clef Hangers are scheduled to perform an annual spring concert April 22 in Memorial Hall.

"We keep old favorites, but for spring, we always add at least five or so new songs," said Daniel David, former alumni coordinator for the group and an active member.

The Clef Hangers are working on recording their next album, scheduled for release next spring.

Along with their spring concert, the Clef Hangers will make their annual appearance at the Old Well on the last day of classes to take audience requests and celebrate the end of the semester.

"There's just a bunch of different stuff going on right now because it's really a cappella month," David said.

The Achordants are springing into action, as well, with the release of their first studio album, Polluted With Style, scheduled for April 29.

The album will be all new material, much of which was featured at their 2006 spring concert, held at the end of March.

"It's a lot of fun just being in the group because the Achordants is full of guys who love to have fun, and they love to sing," President Jed Wang said.

The group also is gearing up to release DVD recordings of its last two concerts.

"I always say we have the best fans on campus," Wang said. "The first time you run up on stage at the beginning of a concert, and there's this packed house screaming, that's a feeling that I tell every new guy they'll never forget."

The Tar Heel Voices, a co-ed a cappella group, also are preparing for an eventful spring following an April 1 concert.

Group member Neil Gerber said they expect to release an as-yet-untitled album next spring, the majority of which will feature material the group performed this year.

"It's cool to be such an integral part of this University and part of people's memory of the University," David said.

"We love entertaining people and just being a part of the lore of Carolina here."

Contact the A&E Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.