A record-breaking 80000 revelers showed up to celebrate Halloween on Franklin Street last year. And even though the town of Chapel Hill is aiming to downscale celebrations this year the attendees will most likely still number in the tens of thousands.
For those not keen on crowds drunks or mounted police several alternative festivities are taking place in and around Chapel Hill Friday ranging from late-night live music to kid-friendly daytime events.

What: The Durham Jaycees' 36th Annual Haunted House. Admission to the haunted hospital-themed event is $7.
When: 7:30 p.m. to 11 p.m.
Where: Durham Bulls Athletic Park

What: A Halloween party and costume contest at Papa Mojo's Roadhouse will feature Louisiana-style live music a costume contest" and film screenings. Prizes for best costume include a $50 gas card and a free Sunday brunch for six people at the restaurant.
""We're going to be showing some old" grade-B horror movies restaurant owner Mel Melton said. Lots of chain saws" lots of guts.""
Admission to the Mojo Halloween Party is $10 and $12 at the door.
When: 9:30 p.m. to 1 a.m.
Where: Highway 55 in Durham

What: A Southern Season in Chapel Hill will be hosting a blind wine tasting" called ‘Fear of the Unknown.' Tasting sessions generally run for two to three hours and the event costs $11 at the door.
When: 5 p.m.
Where: 201 S. Estes Dr. Chapel Hill

What: The Carrboro Halloween Carnival. The carnival is intended for people of all ages and will feature a cake walk a beanbag toss and a live owl with its handler. Costumes are encouraged and the event is free.
When: 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Where: Carrboro Town Commons

What: The Halloween Pumpkin Walk. The walk will feature a display of expertly carved Jack-o'-lanterns. Admission is free and open to the public.
When: 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Where: Fearrington Village in Pittsboro

What: The Hallelujah Festival at the Russell Memorial Christian Methodist Episcopal Church. Guests can participate in games Bible trivia and Bible bingo at the free event.
When: 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Where:703 S. Alston Ave." Durham

What: The Morehead Planetarium will be airing ""Scare-o-lina Skies"" on Saturday. The showing is designed for adults and older teenagers. Admission is $6 for adults" $5 for students" seniors and children.
""It concentrates on the more scary" and perhaps gory aspects of the legends surrounding the constellations" said Richard McColman, the Star Theater director at the planetarium.
Some of them can get pretty intense. The version for kids is watered-down a little bit.""
When: 8 p.m.
Where: 250 E. Franklin St.