Last fundraising push for Millennium Village Project

Millennium
The Fusion Dance Team performs in the Frank Porter Graham Student Union Great Hall Monday night at the Millennium Village Project's benefit concert to eradicate poverty.

A dance and music performance moved the Millennium Village Project one step closer to its $1.5 million fundraising goal Monday night.

The project's aim is to eradicate poverty by sponsoring a village in Kenya. In 2006 UNC joined with Duke University and Bennett College for Women to take on that challenge.

Students have already helped raise $1.2 million. Monday's event was an attempt to finish the last stretch.

The fundraiser titled Cheza Kwa Tumaini featured raffles for coveted ACC basketball tickets a PlayStation Portable player and an iPod touch. The event also featured performances by a capella and dance groups including the Loreleis Cadence Sababa Misconceptions and Que Rico.

Taylor Isenberg a Millennium Village coordinator said rallies and other awareness events have occurred in the past" but this event was the first fundraiser.

""This is new territory for us so we don't know what to expect"" Isenberg said before the event. Before the event started, $300 had been raised from ticket sales.

Isenberg said students may not be able to raise the whole amount, since other donors play a bigger role.

Instead, the event primarily serves to raise awareness of the project's many goals: eliminating hunger and poverty, instituting universal primary education, improving gender equality, empowering women, reducing child mortality and preventing AIDS.

Between the singing performances, dance acts and raffles, host Abbas Rattani presented the goals that students' ticket money will benefit.

UNC has been the major drive behind this project" Isenberg said. This fall semester" we want to show donors that students are passionate and care about global issues.""

Student excitement is essential in acquiring private donors to back the project" Isenberg said. In February Phi Delta Theta fraternity raised $250000 and presented a record-high Greek donation to the project.

Millennium Village Project coordinators plan to reach their goal by the spring but the economy may provide a challenge" Isenberg said.

""Wachovia gave us their advertising spot last year"" Isenberg said. Companies like Wachovia may not be able to be as generous this year due to the recession.

But Isenberg still remains hopeful that they will reach the $1.5 million mark next semester.

Rattani also tried to keep the mood lighthearted, despite sharing staggering statistics on the 1 billion people that live on less than $1 a day.

Dude" you're funny but you're bumming us out" he said, joking about what the audience probably thought of his hosting abilities.

Rattani also kept a positive outlook by assuring students of the significance of the money raised. He explained that when the goal is met, people will not go to Kenya and say, Listen up. We're here to save you guys. Here's $1.5 million. Peace.""

Instead students will travel to Kenya to interact with the people who benefited from their fundraising.

Cheza Kwa Tumaini is one of several events this week" dubbed Millennium Developmental Goals Week intended to further funds and student involvement on the various issues surrounding the project.

Contact the University Editor
at udesk@unc.edu.

6-8 p.m. Tuesday: Discussions on Global Health Hanes Art Center

10 a.m. to 2 p.m. (the Pit) 7:45 p.m. (Gardner Hall Room 08) Wednesday: MVP in the Pit and the Green Microfinance Workshop

Thursday: Dollar-a-Day the Pit

10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday: Gender in Africa the Pit