Campus briefs for January 29

Sport Clubs Council chooses Bilbao for SBP endorsement

Student body president candidate Ron Bilbao won an endorsement from the UNC Sport Clubs Council which consists of at least two representatives from each of the 53 sports clubs.

Each representative voted for one candidate but the votes did not determine the endorsement.

The five members of the Sport Clubs Executive Council and the group's director Jason Halsey" discussed the endorsement and then unanimously voted to back Bilbao.

""Well" the quote would be that I'm thrilled honestly Bilbao said.

I think this is a turning point in the campaign" and these forums help us get our bearings and show us how we are performing.""

Each candidate was allotted eight minutes to speak and take any questions. Few council members asked questions" but the need for field space for sports practices emerged as the most pressing concern.

This is the first time the council has endorsed a candidate.

Kathleen Casanova president of the executive sports club council" organized the forum.

""He definitely won us over with his plans to increase visibility" administer a space survey and work with us to try to pin down some one-time funding for things like risers and other equipment" Casanova said.

Candidates Michael Betts, Thomas Edwards, Ashley Klein  and Matt Wohlford also attended the forum.

The council expected candidate Jasmin Jones to attend but she was absent.

Local author Sarah Dessen will speak in Wilson today

Author Sarah Dessen, a Chapel Hill resident and UNC alumna, will read from her most recent book today in Wilson Library.

Dessen, who graduated from UNC in 1993 with highest honors in creative writing, will read from her most recent book, Along for the Ride.""

Dessen is the author of eight novels for young adults. ""Along for the Ride"" will be released this summer.

The program is free for students and the public.

A reception will begin at 5 p.m. in the library's lobby and the program will start at 5:45 p.m. in the Pleasants Family Assembly Room.