Letter about campaigning for Bilbao was inaccurate

UNC-CH Sport Clubs Council does not enforce compulsory volunteering.

On behalf of the Sport Clubs Council and Ron Bilbao's student body president campaign, I would like to address the inaccuracies put forth in a letter to the editor, (Mandatory campaigning for Bilbao is undemocratic"" Feb. 6) submitted by Brad Lockwood.

Our stance on volunteering was clarified in an e-mail sent to all club administrators on Feb. 3.

Sport Clubs Council does not require volunteerism from any of our athletes.

While we would like for club athletes to volunteer for the candidate that we think is best for the Sport Clubs Program, we do not want anyone to be forced to support a candidate against his or her will.

Furthermore, there is no way in which a club could be deemed ineligible for the Team of the Year"" award by not participating in the campaign.

This award will be given to an outstanding club that has combined excellence in its respective sport with a commitment to the mission of the Sport Clubs Council.

This can be done in a number of ways — community service and extraordinary leadership included.

And while a commitment to volunteering could be considered part of this dedication to the council" volunteering is certainly not a requirement to win the award.

While we appreciate Mr. Lockwood's interest and dedication to democracy he misunderstood the council's stance on volunteering.

Neither the Sport Clubs Council nor Bilbao intends to instill compulsory volunteering for the club athletes. We have worked to make this very clear to our club officers and our athletes.

Kathleen Casanova

President

Sport Clubs Council