Wrestling: Facility update slow in coming

Athletic renovations can be seen all around campus whether it's the construction on Carmichael Auditorium or the opening of the baseball season at the newly renovated Boshamer Stadium.

But one project that's had a hard time getting completed — or even started for that matter — has been an improved wrestling practice facility.

Coach C.D. Mock began looking into a new facility when he arrived as an assistant coach back in 2000 and the process began in about 2003. And though there is now a renovation plan for the existing wrestling room in Fetzer Gym" it's been a trying process.

""We're frustrated because we were ahead of the Carmichael renovation" we were ahead of Boshamer we were ahead of the sports medicine facility Mock said.

And all these facilities are moving along" they've broken ground — we haven't even put a shovel in the ground.""

UNC's current wrestling room in Fetzer is too small to fit the entire team" so Mock splits the practice up between the higher and lower weight classes.

The team also does not have an area for weight training" a lounge or a locker room (though it does have its own changing space in Fetzer).

""We don't have a locker room. We have never had a locker room. UNC wrestling has never had a locker room"" Mock said.

Senior Associate Athletic Director for Facilities Willie Scroggs said the planning and development process for such projects is always an extensive task. He also mentioned designs, financial approvals and other construction in the area of the proposed renovation.

This one has taken a little bit more than maybe some others"" he said. You just can't start to do something before you've got all that stuff in place.

""But it has been — I think all of us will agree that it has been — regrettable that it's taken so much time to get this thing done.""

Mock said he does understand that wrestling can get ""rearranged … on the pile of importance"" when higher-profile sports such as baseball and women's basketball have facility projects.

""But it's gotten a little ridiculous"" he said.

A significant amount of the money for the project is coming from the Carolina Wrestling Endowment Fund originally created by former coach Bill Lam, and Scroggs said one issue was getting the approval for that money to be used for facility construction.

Mock, who said he had a meeting Monday to get the final numbers, estimated it will cost about $2.5 to $3 million. Scroggs said there are still issues about the cost because current estimates are a bit high.

Construction still has not begun, and Scroggs said the plan is to start this coming fall with a completion goal of May 2010.

Mock said another problem with the delay is that his credibility has suffered because he had told some of his current wrestlers they'd be wrestling in a new room.

The planned renovation will be a two-floor project which includes an expanded wrestling room, space for weight equipment, a locker room, a team video room and a lounge.

Mock is insistent that the facilities don't affect his ability to produce a quality team. But facilities have a large effect on recruiting, and since UNC's tough admission standards already limit the wrestlers he can recruit, top-of-the-line facilities can be a big selling point — especially when a recruit sees other schools that do have them.

Certainly there's an aspect of this that we want to emphasize that we're trying to take care of our guys"" Mock said. But the reality of this is about recruiting. This is about being able to attract the very best guys.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu