Student comedians compete

Senior Abbas Rattani had never done stand-up comedy. His February audition for the RooftopComedy National College Comedy Competition was the first time he had performed it.

He didn't prepare much.

""It was like 4:40 a.m. one night. I was like"" why not?"" he said. ""And then I was like" oh yeah" let me just go out there and complain.""

Now he can consider himself one of the funniest college students in the country" as he joins fellow seniors Russell Johnson and Mary Sasson and sophomore Cody Hughes in national competition. The four comprise UNC's team for RooftopComedy's nationwide college stand-up contest.

The competition is a bracket-style elimination event conducted mostly online where Rooftop Web site members vote on stand-up videos of the contestants. Four-person teams compete against each other to win a trip to Aspen Colo." where the finals are held.

UNC is now one of the ""ultimate eight"" teams left in the competition" which started with 32 teams. They are currently matched up against Temple University. Online voting for this round will last until Thursday at 11:59 a.m.

Rattani is no stranger to the stage. He has acted as a master of ceremonies on campus since his first year at UNC hosting events like Masala Night and SUDAN's fashion show.

He wrote produced and performed skits relevant to the ceremonies. Still" he said he had never had the experience of making his own jokes for an audience.

The team formed after the four members auditioned in an on-campus talent search by the Carolina Union Activities Board in February. The team was finalized and then held a live stand-up competition against Duke on March 21 at DSI Comedy Theater in Carrboro.

""It's interesting" the mix of differences on the team. We have all different styles of comedy" Rattani said. Together we're extremely funny because it appeals to a wide variety.""

Sasson focuses her comedy on family anecdotes. One of her jokes is about her brother throwing sandwiches behind the couch.

Meanwhile" Hughes' style is more laid back and off-the-wall" based on his awkward experiences growing up in North Carolina.

Rattani uses his material to satirize the Western perspective on Muslims.

""Essentially" I try to highlight some of the absurdity — how life has been different since 9/11 as a Muslim in the U.S." Rattani said. I guess people find that funny because I make it sound so absurd — because it is absurd.""

Sasson" Hughes and Johnson all competed in Rooftop's college competition last year when it was an individual contest. Sasson21" made it to the finals in Aspen.

She said the best aspect of the competition is performing alongside experienced comedians. Last year's show featured comedians who had worked on ""Mad TV"" and ""The Sarah Silverman Program.""

""The really cool thing about this is if you get to go to Aspen — if you get to go to the finals — you get to be in a stand-up festival that's a pretty cool thing"" Sasson said. You are in no way qualified to be there except for this contest.""

Contact the Features Editor at features@unc.edu.