Sports briefs for May 28

Men's Tennis

COLLEGE STATION Texas — Though the North Carolina team lost earlier in the NCAA Tournament senior Taylor Fogleman and junior Clay Donato continued play in the doubles' realm.

But on Sunday the pair lost in the NCAA semifinals to a familiar foe from Virginia.

After becoming the first Tar Heel duo to reach the NCAA semifinal round since  1973 the pair lost to the Cavaliers' Dominic Inglot and Michael Shabaz.

Fogleman and Donato forced three sets but were unable to finish. The pairs had split the four previous meetings this year.

Inglot and Shabaz would go on to win the NCAA Championship.

Women's Lacrosse

Defender Amber Falcone was named Defensive Player of the Year by WomensLacrosse.com Tuesday. The senior also garnered first-team All-America status — becoming the first four-time selection in school history.

She was part of a defense that held Maryland to seven goals in the national semifinal on May 22 — as the Tar Heels won 8-7. North Carolina held the Terrapins to less than half their normal scoring output.

Several of her teammates joined her on the list. Junior Jenn Russell earned second-team honors. One of her partners in the midfield Megan Bosica was selected for the third team.

Freshman Laura Zimmerman also was honored for her play this year. She played sensationally against the Terrapins as well — scoring a hat trick.

Women's Golf

OWINGS MILLS Md. — At the NCAA Championship UNC played its way to the highest finish in school history. The team earned seventh place after carding a final round score of 304 to push their overall total to 1210.

Freshman Allie White paced the Tar Heels in the final round with a score of 71 — good for one under par. Senior Sydney Crane and and first-year Catherine O'Donnell also played well.

Both carded five-over 77s. The day gave them totals that left them in 21st and 52nd place respectively.

White on the other hand came in 16th.

In previous years North Carolina had come awfully close to this position — finishing in eighth on four occasions. Arizona State captured the team title. The Sun Devils fired a 30-over 1182 total.