Ron Bilbao a UNC senior had never been camping and had never imagined spending time in the wilderness completely on his own. But that was before he left the July after his first year to go to Table Rock in Pisgah National Forest with Outward Bound a wilderness adventure course.

Bilbao now a 2007 Outward Bound alumnus was able to embark on this journey because each summer the Center for Public Service gives four scholarships to participate in the North Carolina Outward Bound program.

Students who receive the grants travel with the program to the Appalachian Mountains and complete a 28-day course which includes backpacking rock climbing white-water rafting a three-day solo journey and a half-marathon.

This year's recipients one of whom received a scholarship in memory of Eve Carson" will be on adventures throughout June and July.

""Basically" it's a free ride for a potentially life-changing experience Bilbao said. He is also a work-study employee of the Center for Public Service. It was exciting to just see what I was made of. When I found out I got the scholarship" there was no doubt I was going to go.""

Bilbao said rock climbing was his favorite aspect of the trip. Cameron Wardell" a junior who went on an Outward Bound course in 2008" agreed.

""It's the most incredible experience ever to be on the side of a mountain and turn around to see the tops of trees"" Bilbao said. It really tests how far you are willing to go.""

Bilbao also favored his solo expedition — 72 hours in which he fasted" wrote letters to his mother and friends and reflected on the time he spent alone.

Wardell on the other hand" did not enjoy his solo journey.

""I hated it" Wardell said. I just don't like being by myself. I knew I could do everything" but I felt like I ran out of thoughts.""

Director of the Center for Public Service Lynn Blanchard explained this feeling.

""Every minute is not an enjoyable experience" but it is a life-changing experience Blanchard said. The value of it would be hard to put into words" but both the physical demand and the emotional and mental demand bring things together with people in new ways.""

Blanchard said that some of the things participants learn include confidence" how to take on new challenges how to ask for help working with others understanding that people have different abilities" compassion and trust.

""All of those things are important — in service and in life in general" she said.

Wardell said he can relate to what these participants will soon feel.

It was an awesome way to spend my summer" he said. I came out with a new family.""

Contact the Features Editor at features@unc.edu.