Former UNC-G chancellor dies

The UNC system’s longest tenured chancellor, Patricia Sullivan, 69,  died Thursday after a two-year battle with pancreatic cancer.

The former UNC-Greensboro chancellor, known for her professional accomplishments and personal touch in working with students and colleagues, retired last year after serving as chancellor for almost 14 years. She was the first woman to hold the position.

During her time as chancellor, Sullivan dramatically changed UNC-G, said Carolyn Ferree, a member of the UNC-G Board of Trustees. Enrollment grew by 36 percent and research funding for the university grew by 180 percent.

“The difference was like night and day,” Ferree said. “She took a personal interest in every student.”

Sullivan introduced 10 new doctoral programs, including nursing,  economics, information systems, community health, communication sciences and disorders, and medicinal biochemistry. She also introduced eight master’s programs and 20 graduate certificate programs.

Sullivan transformed campus facilities by spending an estimated $500 million in new construction and renovation.

But it was her considerate nature and personality that she will be best remembered for, Ferree said.

She said Sullivan was known as a “world-famous note writer” on campus. She regularly wrote thank-you notes for her staff.

“She was just a unique person and great role model, especially for women,” she said.  “She is already being missed.”

UNC-system President Erskine Bowles said in a statement that Sullivan was admired by colleagues across the state and nation.

“Pat loved UNC-G to her very core,” he said. “As chancellor of UNC-G and as a private citizen, she offered living proof that real success comes from doing what’s right and what’s in the public interest.”

A science building at the university was named after Sullivan last year. A portrait of her will be placed in the building to honor her memory, Ferree said.

Members of Sullivan’s family also suffered from pancreatic cancer. Even though Sullivan knew her prognosis, she maintained her dignity until the end and never showed her pain, Ferree said.

“The staff she worked with for a long time are pretty broken up about it,” Ferree said.

“When I heard it, even though I knew it was coming, it set me back.”

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.ed
u.