Business school application changes

With the deadline quickly approaching, staff members at the Kenan-Flagler Business School said this year’s application process to the school’s undergraduate program will be easier for students.

The business school has made this year’s undergraduate application completely paperless in order to make the process less hectic.

But students have to submit their applications by Friday at 5 p.m., nearly a month earlier than previous deadlines.

“In previous years, students had to turn in hard copies,” said Lee May, associate director of advising and admissions for the bachelor of science in business administration program. “It used to be a frantic rush until the last day.”

Adam Glass, a sophomore applying to the business school, said the electronic application has been convenient.

“You don’t have to use all your time going back and forth to the business school, and you don’t have to worry about time constraints,” he said.

May said the application deadline was made earlier this year so the expected applicant pool of about 500 students could be informed of their admission status and receive scheduling advice earlier.

“We want to give them an answer earlier in the spring semester so that they know their major and can pre-register earlier,” May said.

Many students said they appreciate the earlier deadline.

“Last year, people’s semesters were ruined in the aspect that you can’t drop classes and prerequisites that late in the semester,” Ray said.

Some applicants are not interviewed prior to being accepted into the undergraduate program. But May said callbacks for interviews do not necessarily indicate one’s application status.

“Sometimes we choose them because there is an inconsistency in their application,” she said. “Sometimes we choose them because they’ve done something wonderful and we want to know more.”

Despite the easier online application, the school’s Director of Media Relations, Allison Adams, said staff members are not expecting drastic changes in the number of applicants.

May said about 300 students of approximately 500 applicants will be accepted for the fall 2010 semester. Students will be notified of their admission status on Jan. 20.

May added that about 30 of the 55 to 75 students she expects to reapply or try to transfer in the spring will be accepted.

“We’re looking for students who have academic vigor and are involved in the public community- campus and its surroundings,” she said.

How to apply

1. Go to www.kenan-flagler.unc.edu.
  2. Click on "Apply" tab.
  3. Under BS in Business Administration, click "Apply Online."
  4. Click "Current Carolina Student Apply For the BSA Program."
  5. Enter Onyen and password.
  6. Ensure that you have met the prerequisites listed and that you are a full-time student.
  7. The application includes: cover letter, resume, two essays and additional information (maximum one page).
  8. Submit application by 5 p.m. on Oct. 2.