Indigo Girls concert to benefit student group

Indigo girls
Indigo girls

Clarification: Beacon of Hope is a non-governmental organization associated with the umbrella organization Africa Rising, but the two are unrelated in this circumstance. Africa Rising supports existing health, education and advocacy programs in East Africa.

The Indigo Girls and Matt Nathanson will play a benefit concert Sunday in Cary, and UNC’s Nourish International will be this year’s beneficiary after a surprise withdrawal by the scheduled recipient.

The concert, Carolina HopeFest, runs from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday at the Koka Booth Amphitheatre in Cary.

“HopeFest is about going across cultural borders to benefit grassroots sustainable developments in Africa,” said Julie Jenkins, public relations director for Nourish International.

Until this year, Carolina HopeFest benefited Beacon of Hope, a charity dedicated to helping women in Kenya.

But Jenkins said Beacon of Hope, a project within the nonprofit Africa Rising, backed out after discovering the Indigo Girls are lesbians.

Jonathan Tarleton, co-chair of UNC’s chapter of Nourish International, confirmed that statement.

“My first reaction was that seems kind of ridiculous to me,” Tarleton said. “And it seems kind of crazy for a fundraising organization to drop out in this economic climate. But I am of a different mindset.”

Beacon of Hope could not be reached for comment.

Although Beacon of Hope backed out of the benefit concert, Bill Stevenson, founder of the Carolina HopeFest, still feels strongly about the organization.

“Beacon is a great success story,” Stevenson wrote in an e-mail. “Partially because of HopeFest, they have been able to move to a much larger and more useful property and have built new health clinics, schools and vocational training centers.”

He did not provide a reason for Beacon of Hope’s withdrawal from the benefit program.

Stevenson said there still could be a possible partnership between Beacon and Nourish.

“In fact, Nourish students can choose to work with Beacon in Kenya with the proceeds from HopeFest,” Stevenson wrote in an e-mail. “So, indirectly, HopeFest may still support Beacon of Hope.”

Nourish started at UNC in 2003 as Hunger Lunch, which the organization still holds every Wednesday. It has since expanded to 28 campuses across the nation.

James Dillard, executive director for the national office of Nourish, said he expects the proceeds to exceed $5,000 and possibly $15,000.

Stevenson said the numbers could be even higher.

“It’s really impossible to tell,” Stevenson wrote in an e-mail. “It depends so much on the weather and the economy. But in 2006, the last time we had Indigo Girls, we were able to donate about $25,000.”

And without the Indigo Girls’ return this year, there would not have been a Carolina HopeFest.

“Up until the time we got that call, we had pretty much decided not to have a Carolina HopeFest this year,” Stevenson wrote in an e-mail. “We had lost our major sponsor, and it’s tough to make money without sponsorships. But when Indigo Girls called, we knew we had to find a way to make it work.”

The Grammy Award-winning duo, who play benefit concerts all over the country, said they are excited to be a part of HopeFest.

“We support the vision and work of HopeFest and their contribution to non-profits such as Nourish International, who are truly making a difference in impoverished communities across the world,” wrote members Emily Saliers and Amy Ray in an e-mail. “From local to global, that’s what giving back is all about.”

The Carolina HopeFest will also include local bands Mumbling Beefheads, Jon Shain and Gospel Music Association award-winner Christa Wells.

Tickets begin at $20 for student lawn seats and $30 for adult lawn seats.

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.