Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre amazes

Board games. Disappearing dining halls. Eating condoms. Aliens and cats versus humans and dogs.

Those are just a few of the topics that created echoing laughter at the improv show Thursday night.

The Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre touring group, a professional comedy group from New York, performed in the Student Union Auditorium, and UNC’s own Chapel Hill Players opened the event.

After Chips’ opening act, the brigade hit the stage, and the audience erupted with applause.

To start off the show, the group turned to the crowd for help, and one student happily fulfilled their request.

When onstage, the student was asked questions ranging from his major to what he likes to do in his free time, to which he answered, “Play board games.”

The group ushered the student offstage and started their performance using some of the odd stories, such as guys and girls attempting to take showers together, as the basis of their performance.

Here’s a breakdown of a few of their sketches:

Lost in translation

The scene: Aliens attempt to translate cat poop.

How it played out: While the aliens were working on the meaning of the poop, a boy arrives riding a child his mother gave him so that he could learn to be responsible.

The boy challenges the aliens, and a humans and dogs versus aliens and cats war ensues.

Before determining the victor, the improv actors left the stage, leaving the fate of the world up in the air.

Roomate hell

The scene: Two roommates watch “The Matrix,” and one is overly excited.

How it played out: Roommate one continues to be more annoyed by his excited roommate. When the excited roommate receives a pair of shoes, he jumps around until he has a nosebleed, and roommate one calls him “Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Excited.”

The scene goes south when the excited roommate pulls a gun out and the scene transitions to a memory of buying guns in Wal-Mart.

Sexy shower?

The scene: The actor on the left is a man in a three-piece suit, while the actor on the right is a naked woman.

How it played out
: “You’re not going to take your clothes off?”

The man in the three-piece suit showered by repeatedly dropping a bar of soap down the inside of his outfit and wiggling around until it dropped out of the bottom of his pants.

The couple kept sudsing until the scene was broken by another actor.

Photos by DTH photographer Sam Ward.

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.