‘Nicholas Nickleby’ playwright engages PlayMakers

Tony Award-winning playwright David Edgar sat down with director Joseph Haj on Thursday night to give a behind-the-scenes look at their production of “The Life & Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby.”

Seated in the Paul Green Theatre amid the spare set of PlayMakers Repertory Company’s “Opus,” the two discussed the company’s upcoming Mainstage production.

Edgar’s interpretation of the classic Charles Dickens novel — by the same name — was adored by fans, but received mixed reviews from critics upon release 30 years ago.

The playwright said that he had no expectations going into the production and that it would be a “catastrophe or a huge smash hit.”

Thankfully for Edgar, it was the latter.

A Tony Award and a few decades later, fans are still excited to see the play and appreciate the chance to meet Edgar.

Jo Oldham, who watched the play in New York 30 years ago, said she plans to attend the production again.

“It’s pretty exciting to meet him, and I am excited to see the play again,” she said.

And not just the audience that was excited to be talking with Edgar.

When Haj, the play’s director, asked Edgar’s permission to produce the play, he was surprised to hear the writer would be in town and be available for the rehearsals.

Haj described his feelings for Edgar as “deeply admiring and very respectful.”

This is not the first time PlayMakers has opened its doors before a show goes up.

The company’s Vision Series has the director of a current production talk about the show and its design before the play opens. The discussions are free and open to the public.

“It’s interesting to hear the playwright’s perspective,” said Heidi Reklis, general manager of PlayMakers.

Even with about 50 people in the crowd, the conversation between the director and writer gave those in attendance a feeling of “belonging,” as described by Company Manager Jeff Stanley.

Flor de Liz Perez, who is a third-year Master in Fine Arts acting graduate and part of the play’s cast, summed up the night.

She said being close to Edgar was not intimidating, but was an exciting privilege.

“The more I hear him talk, the more I can learn,” she said.

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.