‘Pictures Reframed’ combines music, art

Grammy winner, street artist meet

Leif Ove Andsnes, a Norwegian pianist, will perform with South African-born visual artist Robin Rhode. Courtesy of Simon Fowler.

UNC will play host today to an event that combines classical music with modern images to create a richly visual and audible story.

The event, titled “Pictures Reframed,” will feature celebrated Norwegian pianist Leif Ove Andsnes and South African-born visual artist Robin Rhode in a meeting of visual and performing art that made its world premiere in New York.

Andsnes and Rhode will be showcasing a collaborative performance of Russian composer Modest Mussorgsky’s famous piano suite, “Pictures at an Exhibition,” as well as other pieces. Rhode’s artwork will be on display during the show, providing a visual representation of the music.

Emil Kang, the executive director for the arts and director of Carolina Performing Arts, said he is excited to see the show because Chapel Hill will be only the second U.S. location for the performance.

“I’m thrilled that Lincoln Center was a warm-up for us,” Kang said jokingly of the first performance of the show.

The two artists will also visit Washington, D.C., and Houston with this performance.

Mayron Tsong, professor of piano in the music department, said the event will challenge the audience to think about the music in a different way.

She said Andsnes has an engaging devotion to his craft.

“I think he’s all there for his music,” Tsong said.

Tsong had nothing but praise for the Grammy Award-winning Andsnes, who is known for constantly attempting to discover new aspects of music.

“He has wonderful lyrical sense,” she said, adding that you can hear depth in his playing.

The event will consist of Andsnes surrounded by large screens showcasing Rhode’s artwork that was inspired by Mussorgsky’s music.

Pairing the music and visuals will help the audience open its minds and ears and will be similar to seeing a movie in IMAX, Tsong said.

Rhode
specializes in street art, such as graffiti, and is now centered in Germany. His pieces often involve simple or accessible materials, such as charcoal drawings on the wall of a building.

Harry Kaplowitz, marketing manager of Carolina Performing Arts, said Mussorgsky’s music will be familiar to music students who have likely encountered him in their studies. And for the classical music fan, this is a very special collaboration.

Kaplowitz said he thought the performance also has value for students who aren’t as knowledgeable about music.

“I think that for students looking for an entry point into classical music, this is a good way into it,” Kaplowitz said. “It’s a recital redefined.”

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.