Second-half run propels Tar Heels

Junior Cetera DeGraffenreid paced North Carolina with 20 points. She added eight assists and eight steals. DTH/Will Cooper

When Coastal Carolina went up 20-19 in the first half against North Carolina, the lead change was all the impetus Cetera DeGraffenreid needed.

The junior guard went on a tear, accounting for her team’s next 10 points. DeGraffenreid went 3-for-4 from the line and assisted on two baskets before laying up the next four points.

“I was just like, ‘We’re a better team than this,’” DeGraffenreid said. “I don’t think we really were out there playing.”

DeGraffenreid’s dominance helped fuel the Tar Heels’ 88-49 victory Wednesday at home against the Chanticleers.

UNC vs. Coastal Carolina Scoreboard

• Coastal Carolina 49
  • UNC 88

She finished with a game-high 20 points and eight assists, and she was two steals and two assists shy of a triple-double. DeGraffenreid also had six rebounds on the night and eight steals.

“That’s pretty doggone good though,” UNC coach Sylvia Hatchell said. “And only two turnovers?”

“I don’t think there’s anybody in the country that pushes the ball up the floor like she does. I just don’t think there’s anyone that does that and can do that like she can. She’s working on becoming the best complete player she can be.”

UNC (2-0) jumped out to a 15-9 lead early in the game, but the Chanticleers went on an 11-4 run aided by a slew of Tar Heel turnovers. Coastal Carolina (2-1) went up 20-19 after Amanda Stull went backdoor on the UNC defense for an easy layup with 6:15 remaining in the game.

After the DeGraffenreid clinic, UNC finished the half with the game at 33-25. Despite a strong finish by the Tar Heels, Coastal Carolina was still hopeful at intermission.

“We felt pretty good. We thought we were going to make a heck of a game out of it,” Chanticleer head coach Alan LeForce said.

UNC tightened its game and opened the second half on a 24-4 run that included 17 unanswered points.

Laura Broomfield, who scored one point in the first half, dropped eight points during that stretch and finished with 12 points and 14 rebounds for the game’s lone double-double.

Broomfield also chipped in three assists, two steals and two blocks in 19 minutes on the floor.

Broomfield and the rest of UNC’s frontcourt knew they had to step their game up since Hodgkin’s lymphoma will likely sideline Jessica Breland for the season. The team grabbed 54 rebounds Wednesday, including 18 offensive boards, and tallied nine blocks.

“We know every game, this one for example, if we slack off it’s going to be a detriment to the team,” Broomfield said.

Italee Lucas returned to action after missing the season opener due to a sore knee.

Lucas played 14 minutes in the first half and scored only two points while turning the ball over four times. She finished with nine points on 4-of-9 shooting in 25 minutes of play.

“She had some turnovers she shouldn’t have. I thought sometimes she tried to do too much out there,” Hatchell said. “I think she’ll settle down and make some better decisions.”

Entering Wednesday’s contest, Coastal Carolina’s Stull and Sydnei Moss had combined to score 40 points per game. The Tar Heels held the two guards to a combined nine points on 4-of-18 shooting.

Along with DeGraffenreid and Broomfield, UNC had Chay Shegog and She’la White in double figures. White recorded 16 points, including four three-pointers, and the 6-foot-5-inch Shegog dominated the paint with 15 points and eight boards.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.