History in motion

Performance is a tribute to Abraham Lincoln

“Fondly Do We Hope … Fervently Do We Pray,” a performance by Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company, premieres at 8 p.m. tonight

Dance fans and history buffs alike have been eagerly awaiting the UNC premiere of Bill T. Jones/Arnie Zane Dance Company’s “Fondly Do We Hope... Fervently Do We Pray” at 8 p.m. tonight in Memorial Hall.

The performance is a tribute to Abraham Lincoln and interprets how America’s history would have changed had Lincoln been in charge during the Reconstruction era.

“Every once in a while we get a work that we’ve been sort of hearing about for a few years and looking forward to for so long, and to get to be in the audience of that is very exciting,” said Harry Kaplowitz, the marketing manager of Carolina Performing Arts.

ATTEND THE SHOW

Time: 8 p.m. today

Location: Memorial Hall

Info: carolinaperformingarts.org

Note: Limited availability for tickets

Jones, the performance’s director, has received many prestigious awards including a 2007 Tony Award and choreographed the popular musical “Spring Awakening.” His tribute to Lincoln has been in the works for two years. It will explore key moments from Lincoln’s life.

UNC wants the campus to take advantage of this prestigious artist being on campus and connect with him, said Reed Colver, the director of campus and community engagement for Carolina Performing Arts.

In conjunction with Jones’ performance, the Ackland Art Museum is exhibiting “Jacob Lawrence and The Legend of John Brown” through May 9. The exhibition features 20th-century artist Lawrence’s paintings of John Brown, a controversial abolitionist from Lincoln’s era.

To link the two art forms, Jones spoke about the connections between his historically influenced dance and Lawrence’s paintings in Gerrard Hall on Thursday night.

Students and the community can also take advantage of Jones’ presence today.

Jones will participate in a panel discussion with the associate artistic director of the dance, Janet Wong, at 1 p.m. today in Hyde Hall, and members of his company will lead an open-level workshop today at 12:30 p.m. in the Student Union Underground.

Jones is also speaking in professor Joy Kasson’s American Studies 101 class today. Kasson said she has seen the performance and is a big fan.

“Viewers of the performance are in for a stunning evening. Spoken word, music, movement and an innovative set will give us all a powerful experience,” Kasson wrote in an e-mail.

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.