New study abroad advising program allows students to share advice, experience

The Study Abroad Office introduced a new student advising program Wednesday at the FedEx Global Education Center, where students enjoyed a wide variety of cookies and personal perspectives on study abroad experiences.

The peer advising idea, initially conceived by former Student Body President J.J Raynor, provides an opportunity for students to get in contact with individuals who have travelled abroad.

“Basically, it’s giving students a different perspective,” said junior business major and peer adviser Chris Foong. “We’re able to answer questions that students may not be comfortable asking an adviser.”

The program is run through the Study Abroad Office, but the global university committee of the executive branch of student government has helped to promote the program.

“One problem was that there were too few study abroad advisers and a lot of students interested in getting appointments,” said Alex Merritt, co-chairman of the global university committee.

Each of the 27 peer advisers applied for the position last semester and received training in November.

“I had an amazing experience abroad and I wanted to share that with other students,” said Courtney Ross, a senior peer adviser and economics and international studies major.

“I had a lot of questions before I studied abroad, and I couldn’t really answer all of them.”

Approximately 1,400 UNC students study abroad through University programs each year.

Kathryn Goforth, the associate director of advising for the study abroad office, said the peer advisers were trained to help with the experience but direct the technical questions to her office.

“I think it’s been fairly positive,” she said. “We were nervous because we didn’t know how it would work.”

At the event Wednesday, the student advisers shared their experiences in Argentina, China and various other countries.

“I really wanted to talk and find out more about traveling abroad,” said Heather Kagan, a sophomore economics major hoping to study abroad in London. “I kind of just wanted to hear a personal experience.”

Goforth said she hopes to maintain the same number of advisers in the coming years.

“We’re hoping make this into a competitive program so we can get students who really love going abroad,” she said. “We want it to be something popular that students will use.”

The peer advisers and their contact information can be found on the UNC study abroad Web site.