A legend deserved more from me

I owe Dean Smith an apology.

When covering a sporting event, a journalist must vow to check his or her bias at the door. Regardless of circumstance or affiliation, taking sides is not permitted.

The job is simple.

Just tell it like it is.

So during North Carolina’s Celebration of a Century on Friday, when Smith shuffled to midcourt and took his place under the spotlight he has always tried to avoid, I sat quietly amid the swelling sea that stood in appreciation.

I shouldn’t have.

A slam dunk, a game-winner at the buzzer, even a national championship — they are all just moments in time. Sure there are some that last a little longer, but few, if any, can change the landscape of very much for very long.

But Smith’s contribution to history is defiant of time.

Before every game, everyone stands (journalists included) to honor our country and the people who have fought to preserve its principles.

And while Smith would be the first to diffuse any notion that he belongs in the same realm, even for a single occasion, anyone with a resume like his deserves that kind of respect.

The short time he spent at the center of the stadium named in his honor might have marked his finest hour. And the irony of it all is that it had nothing to do with basketball.

It had to do with people.

Around him were dozens of former players, many of whom played for the University’s all-time wins leader. And sure, a few stars and many fan favorites — Phil Ford, Bobby Jones and Eric Montross just to name a few — dotted the huddle, but the immortals, largely, weren’t in attendance.

Instead, it was the guys who even avid Tar Heel fans know little, if anything, about.

That was when it all made sense.

Smith made as much of an impact on them as he did on Michael Jordan, James Worthy or any of the program’s cornerstone players.

So when he came out to humbly acknowledge the crowd, my reaction had nothing to do with the wins, the championships or any of the on-court accolades that preceded him.

It had to do with respect.

And whether your color is red, white, powder blue or royal, we should all honor someone who has done so much for so many.

If you’ve ever had the chance to shake his hand, you know that people like Dean Smith don’t come around every day.

Not even every 100 years.

Small in stature, Smith persevered in the face of adversity. He fought for what was right, even when many told him he was wrong.

He stood for what he believed in.

I wish I had done the same.

Contact Brandon Staton at bkstaton@unc.edu.