Finch defeats Kuell for CAA president

Junior Brandon Finch won a majority of the vote Tuesday night to become the next Carolina Athletic Association president — the individual who will have a hand in shaping the controversial student ticket policy that has come under criticism this year.

Finch won with 4,076 votes. Junior Tom Kuell, the runner-up, received 2,478 votes.

“I was ready for tonight,” Finch said after the results were announced. He added he was excited to win and attributed his success to his campaign team.

The CAA is responsible for representing the student body regarding athletic affairs. The organization oversees men’s basketball ticket distribution, Homecoming Week and seasonal events.

Finch served as CAA secretary this year, and he has participated in the organization for three years.

Finch said his first action in taking office will include creating a task force composed of students that will work to help gather student feedback.

Finch’s key platform point centered on the elimination of the phase system. He said he wants to create a system that runs off of general admission for most nonconference games.

Finch’s other platform points include improving recycling initiatives at athletic events, restructuring the CAA cabinet and hosting an all-student tailgating lot for football.

Some students have expressed frustration toward the new one-ticket policy, with many opting not to attend games if their friends did not receive the same phase. It was this central issue that dominated the election.

Both candidates’ platforms addressed issues with the current system and their plans for improving ticket distribution next season.

Kuell, who currently serves as CAA vice president, said he was disappointed with the election results but thought his team did well.

“He’s going to be awesome,” Kuell said about Finch. “I’m really excited for him.”