UNC performing arts groups get creative in the face of budget cuts

Student ticket prices stay even

Sarah Jastram sells tickets to the Ira Glass show. Arts organizations are adapting to make do with less money. DTH/Lauren Vied

In difficult economic times, arts organizations have had to find innovative productions or learn to make do with less.

In response to cuts in state funding, organizations like Carolina Performing Arts and PlayMakers Repertory Company have had to focus more effort on other sources of revenue and strategic spending.

“It’s a challenging year to hit all of our goals, but we’re not going to go down without trying,” said Priscilla Bratcher, director of development for CPA.

CPA has increased its fundraising efforts this year to include more mailing campaigns, personal appeals to contributors and special events.

“We’re trying every possible creative thing to raise money,” Bratcher said. “We’re in the crazy idea business.”

Though many CPA shows have sold out, ticket sales do not recover all the costs of bringing performers.

“It’s hard to break even — even in the best of times,” Bratcher said. “A sellout show rarely makes money. We start with a deficit and have to make money elsewhere.”

Ticket sales account for 42 percent of CPA’s revenue. Contributions make up 26 percent, while student fees and University contributions account for 32 percent.

More than 80 percent of CPA’s budget is spent on programming costs, including performances, marketing and academic integration.

This means most of the money goes into the shows instead of paying for employee salaries.

“We spend our money for art. We create efficiency so money is for programs and not overhead,” said Emil Kang, executive director for the arts at UNC and director of CPA.

This year’s budget is comparable to CPA’s usual budget. Last year, it had a larger budget to bring in the Bolshoi Ballet, but that was a temporary spike and not indicative of the usual budget, Kang said.

Despite two years of reduced University contributions to CPA, the many sources of revenue have allowed it to keep a steady budget, Kang said.

Similarly, PlayMakers receives funding from ticket sales, contributions and the state, through the University.

This year, PlayMakers’ budget was reduced from $2.2 million to $2.1 million in response to state cuts.

“We have to cut back or find another source of revenue,” said Hannah Grannemann, managing director for PlayMakers.

PlayMakers did not reduce its staff, but this year’s season had fewer production weeks than last year’s.

Neither PlayMakers nor CPA has raised student ticket prices to increase revenue.

“It’s important to keep prices low to stay accessible,” Grannemann said.

CPA offers student tickets for $10 and PlayMakers has reduced tickets that vary in price depending on the show.

“We’ve sold more student tickets so far this year than all of last year. We see this as a good thing, even though we lose revenue on student tickets,” Kang said. “It’s part of our mission to provide access.”

This year CPA launched new, less costly programs like the “Loading Dock” series. In these performances, which have included “the break/s: a mixtape for stage” by Marc Bamuthi Joseph, Memorial Hall is re-purposed to allow the audience and performer to share the stage.

“We make sure our community sees we’re healthy and vibrant, but it’s heavy lifting, especially in light of state funding cuts,” Kang said. “Even in the down times, we still have to grow.”

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.