After three years on the desk, editor has only thanks to give

I take Dive Party personally. For each of our two local music showcases this year, I put in an incredibly large amount of work.

I won’t rehash the blood, sweat and tears for you, but, suffice it to say, it hasn’t done me any favors in my classes.

Putting that much effort into something, I expect to get the support of my colleagues. And in the fall, my fellow DTHers came out in fairly large numbers.

Two weeks ago, that was not the case. I counted 10 members of the paper besides my staff at the party. Three were on a photo assignment. One was my girlfriend.

When I realized that was going to be it, I was surprised by my reaction. I didn’t care.

It’s not that I didn’t want more of my co-workers there. I did. But even without them, the place was full. I looked around me, and I saw people I’d never seen before at the Local 506. And they were all dancing their asses off.

I realized it wasn’t the DTH’s support I’ve been looking for. I’ve been looking for yours. To every student and community member reading this: I’ve been trying to reach you. I’ve been trying to show you what an unbelievably fantastic music and arts scene we have right here in North Carolina.

Don’t tell me about Brooklyn. Don’t rant about Austin. I’d take the Triangle over anywhere else.

We’ve got one of the best arts scenes in the country sitting right over that Franklin Street border, and I think it’s a damn shame more students don’t take advantage of it.

It’s that idea that has pushed me in my three years on Diversions.

I was underpaid and overworked, and sometimes I felt downright under-appreciated. But I felt like a kid in a candy store every day I did this job. I got to write about musicians and artists who often don’t get any other notice. And they’ve all amazed me in so many different ways.

As I stood at my last Dive Party, it all hit me. I was surrounded by some of my favorite musicians and community members, as well as a good number of newcomers. I was being thanked and played for by four of my favorite bands. It was overwhelming, an experience I’ll cherish for the rest of my life.

But in the end the thanks weren’t necessary. I’ve done this job because I’ve never cared about anything more in my entire life. And it’s me who should be thanking all of you for letting me do it.

Thank you Chapel Hill, Durham and Raleigh. I may be stepping down as Diversions Editor, but I’ll always be a fan.

Contact Jordan Lawrence at lzjordan@email.unc.edu