Compania Nacional de Danza brings Spanish themes to Carolina Performing Arts

panish dance company Compañía Nacional de Danza will perform at Memorial Hall this weekend to honor composer Bach.

Spain’s national contemporary dance company Compañía Nacional de Danza will perform its tribute to the classical composer Johann Sebastian Bach at UNC this weekend.

The performances, titled “Multiplicity” and “Forms of Silence and Emptiness,” draw from Bach’s masterpiece “The Art of Fugue” as a source of inspiration. Nacho Duato’s choreography blends themes of death and isolation with heavy, dramatic modern ballet.

“The Carolina Performing Arts have brought some outstanding, significant dancers to Carolina this year,” said UNC lecturer Marian Hopkins, who hosted the group in her class. “It’s very commendable — everyone should appreciate that they don’t have to go to New York to see really great performances.”

ATTEND THE CONCERTS

Time: 8 p.m. Saturday; 7:30 p.m. Sunday
Location: Memorial Hall
Info: carolinaperformingarts.org

Duato’s dance sets are so anticipated that Carolina Performing Arts is holding two master classes with the group.

The master classes, one of which was held Thursday in Hopkins’ classroom and another being held Sunday, teach the ballet’s choreography to students and community members.

“The man who taught, Jose, was a beautiful dancer and beautifully trained. He explained to the students that the company is trained in ballet, but they do contemporary dance,” Hopkins said.

Although the shows have not yet sold out, several people said they were excited about the company’s performance.

“I’m extremely excited because they are an amazing dance company. They have such a mix with ballet and contemporary modern dance, and I look forward to seeing them,” said Reed Colver, director of campus and community engagement for Carolina Performing Arts.

She said the group’s presence in the performing arts series is an impressive feat for the 5-year-old program.

“As we have grown in the world of arts presenters, UNC is becoming more known for presenting world-class art,” Colver said.

As for the recent controversy surrounding the Alvin Ailey stagehand who was charged with rape Sunday, officials said they do not think that the week’s events will have any effect on the upcoming performance.

Officials predicted that the shakers from Spain will not disappoint.

“What you can expect is an absolutely astounding world-class dance company that will have an incredible evening both Saturday night and Sunday night,” Colver said.

Tickets are still available through Carolina Performing Arts’ Web site and the Memorial Hall box office.

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.