The future of Ken's Quickie Mart uncertain

Larry Trollinger, owner of Ken’s Quickie Mart, has owned the store for about 40 years. DTH/ Erin Hull

Ken’s Quickie Mart, a staple of University Square on Franklin Street, has sold everything from wine coolers to toilet paper since 1970.

Owner Larry Trollinger said he bought the store from Ken Collins in 1970 when he was 23 years old, about 18 months after Collins opened it.

“He wasn’t making money,” Trollinger said.

To change that, Trollinger tried to cater to the needs of University students and Chapel Hill residents alike, adding beer and wine to the store’s inventory.

And it seems like it worked. Trollinger said he plans to retire soon, after having owned his space in the complex longer than any other tenant, he said.

“When someone asks for something, I put it in,” he said.

But the future of the businesses in University Square, including Ken’s Quickie Mart, is uncertain. The UNC-Chapel Hill Foundation bought the complex in 2008, selecting Cousins Properties to demolish and redevelop it, along with Granville Towers.

During the renovation, blocks of buildings will be rebuilt or removed in phases, with a goal to keep most businesses intact.

Trollinger said he didn’t want to discuss his lease, but said he expects his son will take over as owner after his retirement as long as the store is operating. Trollinger said he has the same enthusiasm for the job that he did 40 years ago.

“You have to have a reason to get up in the morning,” he said.

But some business owners are skeptical as to whether the redevelopment will affect their shops.

Donald Ingle, who purchased the Chapel Hill Barber Shop in 1972, questioned the feasibility of renovating the development while keeping the businesses intact.

“Time will tell what they do,” Trollinger said.

In addition to managing the one-stop shop, Trollinger and his son both own farms about nine miles from Chapel Hill on Dairyland Road.

“I just kind of enjoy it,” Trollinger said about farming. “It makes money, but the store is the business.”

The store’s best-selling product is Busch Light. Although his sales of cigarettes and alcohol plummet during the summer, he said, the demand for candy from summer campers helps recover some of the losses.

Mike Lloyd, a daily customer, cited the Trollingers’ dedication to service as a reason for their success.

“They’ll bend over double to help you but won’t ever cross you,” Lloyd said.

UNC freshman Andrew Barnes lives in Granville Towers East, which is located by the store. He said he appreciates the convenience and the attitude of the people.

“It’s a quick walk from Granville, and they are friendly and helpful.”