The Courtyard revival: a new concept plan could revamp Franklin Street

Franklin West, LLC, did the right thing in recently introducing a new concept plan for The Courtyard in hopes of attracting needed business and brightening Franklin Street.

Downtown shopping centers like The Courtyard, home to the Thai restaurant Penang, are often overlooked, as location and limited parking rob such establishments of their fair share of local traffic.

Parking is an ongoing issue for Chapel Hill locals and visitors.

The new plan for a 90-car parking deck would help to alleviate such concerns, while taking pressure off other cramped Franklin lots.

The former tension in The Courtyard has made it a struggle for businesses to maintain profit and growth in that area.

The shopping center has struggled in recent years, especially in agreements over rent payment between owner Spencer Young and his tenants.

The Courtyard failed to prevent the persistent conflict between parking lot and business owners, eventually forcing businesses to relocate.

It is clear that The Courtyard needs a fresh start if the location will ever have the hope of attracting both new customers and businesses.

The plan went before council review Wednesday.

While The Daily Tar Heel’s print deadlines fall before this week’s Town Council meeting, the project has already received local support and new business interest.

And with the proposed development of 19 residential units and restaurants and retail space, there is new opportunity to welcome a variety of niche establishments to Franklin Street.

The Courtyard has the potential to be a great downtown addition — if we do it right.

Both business and council support are necessary for the redevelopment to begin in July.

However, it is the community’s support that will see the process through.

While the plans are still in beginning stages, the end product is promising.

The Courtyard has the potential to become a new hub of business and opportunity — with that extra perk of a great downtown parking spot.