UNC libraries put digital map collection online

UNC libraries boosted its digital collections with the addition of thousands of state maps — the result of a three-year project that was completed last week.

The North Carolina Maps project provides over 3,000 historic maps of the state in an interactive online map collection.

“Previously anyone can look at these maps but you had to come into the library or the archives. But there were limits based on where you were and what time of day it was,” said Nicholas Graham, program coordinator in North Carolina Digital Heritage Center.

“But looking at them online is a really great way to explore the things that are available and to learn about North Carolina.”

The project, which provideds maps ranging in date from the late 1500s to 2000, was part of a grant from the federal Institute Museum of Library Services.

The project’s aim is to identify and scan nearly every original map of the state with a high resolution to allow viewers to zoom in close enough and read every detail on the map from anywhere with an internet connection.

“It provides a really easy and great opportunity to view historic maps from anywhere through the internet connection,” Graham said.

The North Carolina State Archives and the Outer Banks History Center in Manteo collaborated with UNC libraries on this project. UNC libraries and the State Archives scanned the maps. UNC hosts and administers the site.

Three of the state’s largest map collections, the North Carolina State Archives, the North Carolina Collection at UNC-Chapel Hill and the Outer Banks History Center provided the bulk of the digital collections.

“The biggest challenge here was that we physically brought the maps from the outer banks history center to Raleigh to be described and to be scanned and (brought) back,” said James Sorrell, head of the Special Collections Branch for North Carolina State Archives.

The online site also contains an interactive function to compare the selected historical maps with the current street maps and satellite images. A Google Earth 3-D tour is also available for discovering the historic maps.

“Historical maps maybe are less accurate but it is interesting to think about what people thought the world looked like and where they were,” said UNC senior Ma’idah Lashani.

The project founders hope to serve all state residents on top of the university community.

“The collection of the UNC libraries is there for the students and faculty in the university,” said Graham.

“But we really hope that it serves the entire state. This is a way of opening up our collection and making it freely accessible to anyone in North Carolina.”

Contact the University editor at udesk@unc.edu.