Nonproit gives gift of music

Program trains Durham youth

Tonya Suggs, the string orchestra educator at Wake County Public Schools, demonstrates the proper technique for holding a violin as part of the KidZNotes program to give needy children musical training.

DURHAM — The music room at Durham’s Holton Career and Resource Center buzzed with excitement on Saturday.

As almost 40 children clamored to try their hand at holding a violin in the proper fashion, their parents jumped in to help out — even though some knew just as little about the instruments as their children.

Prospero Sanchez, the father of 5-year old Glendy Sanchez, played the triangle as the children sang and clapped.

“When my baby sees me do something, she gives more emotion,” Sanchez said.

This cross-generational exposure to music is what KidZNotes, a non-profit organization promoting classical music training for Durham’s neediest youth, hopes to bring to Triangle families, members said.

Students from three low-income Durham elementary schools ­— E.K. Powe, Y.E. Smith and Eastway — make up the KidZNotes program.

Local volunteers, including UNC and Duke students, organize and teach the lessons.

“A lot of children don’t have the opportunity to get involved in something like this so young,” said volunteer Neil Hollenbeck, a Duke University graduate student.

“Some may go on to be musicians, but most will use these transferable skills to their future lives,” said Hollenbeck.

Kathryn Wyatt, executive director of KidZNotes, hopes the program will increase school graduation rate among its participants.

“We imagine ourselves as a social service and music is the vehicle,” Wyatt said.

Wyatt is a graduate of the Abreu Fellows Program, a joint program between the New England Conservatory and the Venezuelan national youth orchestra system, El Sistema.

Kathleen B. Morrison and Lucia Powe, both Durham residents, saw a “60 Minutes” special on El Sistema, the program on which Kid?ZNotes is modeled.

“It’s been almost two years of work culminating in our launch this past Saturday,” Wyatt said.

The program took applications from families that qualified for free or reduced lunch at the Durham schools. Students also needed recommendations and strong family support to be admitted, Wyatt said.

KidZNotes organizers eventually hope to build up a full orchestra, but right now, the program is only working with violins.

“We didn’t really get to play it yet, but I loved it,” kindergartner Hayden Smith said. “I was so excited to get my violin, I wanted to bust out laughing.”

Since its launch two weeks ago, the children have learned the basics of music literacy, rhythm and the violin.

Ben Fuller, a UNC senior, trumpet player and program intern, said that KidZNotes is not just a musical program.

“The kids can handle a lot more than people give them credit for,” he said. “We just give them the opportunity.”

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.