Professional resume tips shared at UCS workshop

Zhe Wang (left) and Yadong Goo, both sophomores from China, review each other’s resumes while waiting for a University Career Services counselor to call them into their meeting during the Resume Marathon.

Students looking to gain an edge in a highly competitive job market took advantage Monday of a Resume Marathon sponsored by University Career Services.

Having a professional resume is essential, officials said, for those pursuing both jobs and internships. Career Services officials added that they stress the importance of starting early for students hoping to land a job or internship.

In addition to the Resume Marathon, Career Services will be sponsoring a “How To Write A Resume” event today from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. in Room 239B of Hanes Hall.

Vergie Taylor, an assistant director and the career planning counselor at Career Services, said students often run into trouble with their resumes.

“A resume is like a dark cloud hanging over their head,” she said. “They know they need to have one, they just don’t know what to put in it.”

Taylor added that the combined effects of a slumping economy and highly competitive job market make it more important than ever for students to think about their future careers, even earlier than they might have expected to.

“Once the dust settles for you at the beginning of the school year, make an appointment and come see a counselor,” Taylor said.

Students at the Resume Marathon said they used the event to polish their resumes for the numerous events that Career Services sponsors throughout the year.

Junior Kathryn Mack, an economics major, attended Monday’s event looking to improve her resume before attending Wednesday’s Diversity Career Fair.

“I’m glad there is someone who knows what they are talking about that I can go to,” she said. “It was very helpful; she had a lot of information and was able to direct me to other people on campus who can help me.”

Sophomore Yuhan Wang, who intends on majoring in business, stressed the importance of organizing her resume.

“I have a lot of changes to make and am happy she told me where I could improve, especially when formatting my resume a certain way,” she said.