Students welcome Karl Rove

Republican gets standing ovation before speech

Karl Rove — senior advisor and deputy chief of staff to George W. Bush — spoke at UNC’s Memorial Hall, criticizing the Democratic leadership in Washington and calling for a new age in politics.

A packed audience welcomed conservatism to UNC’s blue campus Monday night, highlighting the unpredictability of this year’s political climate.

Karl Rove — known as the “architect” of George W. Bush’s presidency and the mastermind of modern conservative politics — spoke Monday at Memorial Hall, harshly criticizing the Democratic leadership in Washington and calling for a new age in politics.

“Only in Washington can you get away with spending the same dollar twice,” Rove said. “It’s like magic. When it’s gone, it’s gone, but not when you work for the federal government.”

UNC’s College Republicans paid Rove $15,000 in student fees to bring him to campus.

The venue, which holds 1,434 individuals, was about 75 percent full, translating to about $14 in student fees spent per audience member. Final figures won’t be released until later this week.

Rove served as Bush’s deputy chief of staff and senior adviser after serving as the chief strategist for his presidential and gubernatorial campaigns, earning a reputation as one of the toughest and most controversial minds in politics.

He was connected to the leak of CIA operative Valerie Plame’s identity to the press, which incited a federal investigation, although he was never charged. He resigned from the White House in 2007, and now works as a commentator for FOX News and columnist.

Rove spoke for slightly more than an hour, hardly pausing to catch his breath. He cited a large number of polls, statistics and numbers, supporting his views that the Democratic leadership has been detrimental to the country’s growth.

National health care, a mosque near Ground Zero, deficit spending and tax increases all received harsh criticism from Rove.

“You’re right,” Rove said, referring to President Barack Obama and the national health care bill, “he won’t add a dime to the deficit. He’ll add trillions of dimes to the deficit. This is an utter, unmitigated financial disaster waiting to happen.”

Rove addressed a supportive crowd, who gave him a standing ovation before he began speaking, without any visible or audible protest.

Several groups, including the John Pope Civitas Institute, also paid for the event in addition to the student fees, meaning that in total, the event cost more than $15,000.

Anthony Dent, chairman of UNC’s College Republicans, said he was encouraged by the support for Rove’s appearance from the traditionally liberal student body. Students protested the visit of former U.S. Rep. Tom Tancredo, R-Colo., in April 2009, breaking a window in Bingham Hall and preventing him from continuing his speech.

“A huge turnout for a Republican speaker in Chapel Hill is certainly a sign that there’s going to be a huge Republican presence in November,” Dent said.

Rove said he hopes the upcoming November midterm elections will funnel Republicans into Congress and change the path of the country.

“I make no apologies for going out there this year to raise every dime I can for Republican candidates to defeat Democrats. Republican governors are where the future is.”

Toward the end of the evening, a student asked Rove if he had someone in mind for a 2012 presidential run. His answer was short.

“Yes. I do. The Republican nominee.”

Senior writer Eliza Kern contributed reporting.

Contact the State & National editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.