Orange County Animal Services' annual dog swim draws a crowd

Raises funds for new grooming tub

Tracy Kelly of Chapel Hill helps Polo, a 14-year-old mixed-breed, swim at A.D. Clark pool. Kelly and Polo have come to the dog swim for many years.

Jeff Kimmel and Patricia Kirley were taking their dog, Bozer, swimming at the Haw River when two girls approached them about an opportunity they couldn’t miss.

“Why shouldn’t he swim in a pool?” said Kimmel.

Kimmel was one of the first to arrive Saturday at Orange County Animal Services’ 6th annual dog swim.

The event invited local dogs and their owners to swim together at the Hargraves Community Center’s A.D. Clark Pool.

Sarah Fallin, volunteer program coordinator for county animal services, said the event usually draws about 100 dogs and between 200 and 300 people.

With a $5 admission fee for each dog, she said the event normally generates about $500, all of which goes to the animal shelter.

“We thought about increasing the price, but it’s a fun event,” Fallin said.

“With the economy the way it is, we decided to keep it at $5.”

The entry fee included the dog’s treats, tennis balls and drinking water for as long as it stayed.

Fallin said the main goal of this year’s swim was to raise money for a $2,700 grooming tub.

The department raised more than a third of that total at a recent raffle.

Animal services also partnered with the Raleigh News and Observer’s Most Adorable Pet Contest to raise money for the tub.

For the contest, people submit and vote on pictures of their pets. Animals who win will be featured in a calender to be sold by Animal Services.

The department will print 500 calendars and sell them for $5 each.

Many of the volunteers at the dog swim were members of Helping Paws, a division of the UNC Campus Y.

Co-chairwoman Alex Lane said the organization, the only animal welfare group on campus, sponsors fundraising efforts and awareness events on campus.

“I would like to extend social justice to animals,” Lane said.

The group set up a table at the dog swim with animal services to provide participants with pet adoption information.

Ruth Thomson and her two daughters, Emma and Anna, said they attended the event to support the animal shelter.

Thomson said their dog Tony was in the minority of dogs that were scared of the water.

Deborah Evans said she came to the dog swim after seeing an advertisement in the paper.

Evans said she had a good time at the event and wished she knew of a place in Chapel Hill where she could take her dog swimming regularly.

Volunteers worked to ensure patron safety by blocking exits, bringing water for dogs and their owners and picking up dog droppings.

UNC junior Alex Jakubsen said he worked the dog swim for the first time after joining Helping Paws.

“Doody calls,” he said, laughing, as he worked the event.