Dance groups stepping out

After months of planning, preparation and practice, every chapter in the National Pan-Hellenic Council will showcase their original stepping routines in the hopes of winning a $1000 prize for their chapter.

The annual Homecoming Step Show will be held Oct. 29 at 7 p.m. in Memorial Hall. Each of the four fraternities and four sororities in the NPHC are allowed 15 minutes to wow the judges and audience with their innovation, dedication and synchronization.

“Chapters come up with their own kind of theme, like rock and roll,” said Antoinette Lecky, NHPC co-social chair. “They’re often based off movies, usually whichever movies are coming out recently. You come up with a story line, a plot; chapters are supposed to be creative about it.”

In addition to the actual stepping, Lecky said other student groups will perform during the show. The Harmonyx a cappella group will open the show with an African American spiritual. The Kamikaze dance team will perform during intermission. The Misconception Dance Company will close the night before the judges’ decision is announced.

Darius Love, the NHPC Publicity Chair, said that the show will also feature DJ Bobby Drake, as well as host and comedian Darren Brand.

“It’s a big, fun celebration, with concerts and performances outside of the competition,” Love said. “Music definitely plays a big part of it. The intermission is always pretty cool to see what other organizations are doing as well.”

Despite all the exhibition and guest performances, the show is still a competition.

Each group’s stepping will be judged by a panel consisting of one member of each chapter and a head judge who is an unaffiliated faculty member.

Love said that the step show draws a large crowd of former NPHC members.

“The step show is also a great outlet for reunions, for alumni to come back for homecoming,” Love said. “I feel like it’s a great bridge between alumni members of the NPHC at Chapel Hill and the members in school right now. A lot of alumni from every organization come back to watch and support their chapter.”

Lecky said that a wide variety of people would enjoy the show.

“We expect it to be sold out,” Lecky said. “We have people that were anticipating this show before we even started to publicize or make a Facebook event or put up posters. Friday was the first day we started selling tickets and I heard there was quite a good crowd out there, so I’m excited about that.”

Love said that although only one sorority and one fraternity will be declared winners, the main purpose of the show is to bring the Greek community together.

“The step show is a culmination of a lot of hard work and dedication put in by each fraternity and sorority,” Love said. “It also brings Greek unity and a good Greek moral for the NHPC as a whole because every fraternity and sorority chapter performs at the step show, and watches all the other chapters perform. It’s a healthy competition and brings us together.”