Jean Hamilton appointed to Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools Board of Education

Former member chosen without a formal application process

One year after her term ended as a Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools Board of Education member, Jean Hamilton is back.

Hamilton was selected to fill former board member Joe Green’s position Oct. 7, after the board decided to appoint a former member rather than hold an application and selection process.

“Having the experience, I can pick up where I left off before,” Hamilton said.

Board Chairman Mike Kelley said Hamilton’s experience as a former board member helped her land the position.

“Because she had the approval of the voters, she was an ideal candidate,” Kelley said.

But some members said they opposed Hamilton’s selection because the process was not open to public application.

“I really respect and admire Jean as a board member,” board member Gregory McElveen said. “I just wanted to open up the process, follow the standard approach. I had indicators of interest from qualified people throughout the community who could have brought a youthful perspective to the board.”

But board member Jamezetta Bedford said Hamilton’s educational background and experience will benefit the board.

“She has a Ph.D. in economics and she brings the ability to look at data and analyze it appropriately and apply it to education,” Bedford said. “She is willing to raise dissent and not accept the status quo.”

Hamilton, who received her Ph.D. from the University of California at Berkeley, said she believes her experience in economics will be essential in making decisions about the budget during the current economic crisis.

“I want to serve the students of the school district, while thoughtfully and thoroughly choosing the next superintendent and supporting policies that improve academic experience for all students,” she said.

Contact the City Editor at city desk@unc.edu.