Student Legal Services director Dorothy Bernholz receives award

Dorothy Bernholz, director of Student Legal Services, received the Order of the Long Leaf Pine for her distinguished legal service to the state Wednesday.

Rep. Joe Hackney, speaker of the N.C. House of Representatives, presented the prestigious award on behalf of Gov. Bev Perdue at a meeting of the Orange County’s Bar Association.

Bernholz’s husband, Steve Bernholz, said she has always avoided the spotlight and he was thrilled she received the honor despite never promoting herself.

He said Hackney told him about the award after a fundraiser event, and they decided to keep it a secret until Wednesday’s meeting.

Dorothy Bernholz said she was surprised and honored to receive the award, but she was quick to turn the attention away from herself.

“Probably the best thing is that at least the governor of North Carolina understands that a student legal service is of value,” she said.

In 1976, the student body president tried to hire Dorothy Bernholz as the founding director of Student Legal Services, she said.

Her position was contested by the state, so she sued and won, arguing that under the first amendment, students have the right to meaningful access to the courts.

This suit created one of the first nonprofit public interest law firms in the country. Since its foundation, Student Legal Services has advised and represented 80,000 UNC students.

Several of Dorothy Bernholz’s former students, who are now members of the Bar Association, attended the ceremony, including Assistant District Attorney Jeff Nieman, who graduated from the University in 2000.

Nieman said he met Dorothy Bernholz as a college student with legal concerns. He said they reconnected after he joined the district attorney’s office, and she is one of the first people that he refers students to when they have legal questions.

Nieman said Dorothy Bernholz is one of the best lawyers in the state, and students are lucky that she has been dedicated to serving them.

Dorothy Bernholz said she is passionate about working with students because they are constantly looking for ways to improve the world and their own lives through the law.

“I’ve always thought that my family comes first, but these crazy college students probably come second,” she said.