Students win on tickets: Student buy-in yielded a ticket policy with broad support; let's make sure it works

The 2010-11 men’s basketball ticket policy comes as a welcome change from last year’s unpopular one-ticket distribution.

The Carolina Athletic Association conducted an online survey to see what policy was most popular with the student body.

This process was the right decision by the CAA. An election was also a campaign promise by CAA President Brandon Finch that he laudably delivered on.

The student body deserves a say as they are the ones who are affected by the CAA’s decision. Basketball is one of many great things at this University and the CAA needs to make sure that everyone has the best opportunity to enjoy it.

Finch and the CAA have also incorporated some other innovative ideas to the policy. For example, CAA committed to using Twitter updates to let students know how many tickets are left in the standby line.

Another new policy this year gives students the ability to purchase guest passes for certain games.

By purchasing these passes, a student receives one student ticket and the number of guest passes they paid for.

As CAA ticketing chairman Tucker Idol noted, the guest passes are especially beneficial for graduate students who may want to bring family to the game.

Idol also stated that since so few guest passes are offered per game, current students would not likely lose out on any seats. This is hopefully the case.

These tickets are being offered to the student body before they go on sale to the general public.

The CAA should be applauded for putting the students first and giving them a means to bring their friends and family to a game.

The students deserve these tickets because they pay student athletic fees. Also, they are the most important entity at this University and should be able to watch its basketball team with their families if they wish.

The guest passes are a great idea that should be monitored closely this upcoming season. As with any new policy, the pros and cons should be reviewed and the students’ input should be taken into account.

The CAA has, with student voice, taken great strides in getting a ticket policy that has worked in the past, and that students support.