UNC greek system searches for new leadership

Greek leaders urge swift replacement

Jenny Levering, who oversees Greek life at UNC, is leaving Nov. 5

Correction (October 6, 1:00 a.m.): Due to an editing error, a previous version of this story misstated the name of the university where Jenny Levering is going to take her new position. It is Miami University in Ohio. The story has been updated to reflect the correction. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the error.

The future of the University’s side of Greek system leadership rests on the shoulders of Winston Crisp.

The vice chancellor for student affairs will provide the vision as to when, or if, Jenny Levering, the assistant dean for fraternity and sorority life, will be replaced.

But the process is still uncertain — and few variables have been decided.

These variables include how Levering’s responsibilities will be carried out in the short term and what the strategy will be for filling her position in the long term.

“The bottom line is everything is still up in the air and subject to change,” Crisp said.

Fraternity leaders have one message for Crisp: The sooner Levering is replaced, the better.

For Greek leaders, the vacancy represents an opportunity to install a fresh face who can energize Greeks to achieve what has become the message of reform efforts — a culture change.

Many members of the Greek system took issue with Levering, saying she was prone to interfere excessively with fraternity affairs.

A new face could minimize division with the community, and unite it under the banner of reforming the system’s troubled culture, said Tucker Piner, president of the Interfraternity Council.

“I think it’s really important to get off on the right foot and not to step on anybody’s toes,” Piner said.

Chad Gentry, president of UNC’s chapter of the Kappa Sigma fraternity, also said it is important that the transition be swift.

“I definitely think the sooner the better,” he said. “I think it’s good for the Greek system to have a stable leader.”

But Crisp said it was very unlikely that a permanent replacement would be in place by the time Levering leaves.

“Even if we knew what we wanted today and posted the job description tomorrow, we still wouldn’t have the position filled by the end of the month,” he said.

Levering announced Thursday she will leave UNC for Miami University in Ohio. Her last day will be Nov. 5, she said.

Crisp said he will start to address in the next week how exactly Levering’s responsibilities will be satisfied after she leaves.

Jonathan Sauls, the interim associate dean of students, said Crisp has full authority as to which direction he will take the organizational process because the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life is under the umbrella of the Division of Student Affairs.

Roger Perry, a member and former chairman of the Board of Trustees, said Levering’s departure would not significantly impact reform efforts.

Crisp said the efforts at reform will be a part of the conversation in deciding the long-term strategy for filling Levering’s position.

The University Affairs subcommittee, of which Perry is a member, is working on an internal study to determine the best way to reform the Greek system.

Perry said that because there are so many people involved, no one person is critical to the process.

“Sometimes it causes a momentary blip until you get somebody up to speed,” he said.

“We’re all replaceable,” he added.

Crisp echoed Perry’s sentiment.

“None of this stuff is tied to one person,” he said.

Crisp said whatever the new structure turns out to be, it will be critical for it to accommodate the efforts at reform to be handed down by the board.

Perry said how quickly a replacement for Levering is found will not affect the implementation of changes recommended by the board.