As a resident of Chapel Hill, I am writing to offer my support for the Chapel Hill Transit bus drivers in their quest for adequate breaks during their routes.

One of my favorite parts of riding on Chapel Hill Transit buses is having pleasant interactions with the many drivers. Over the years of riding the bus, I have made enduring relationships with some of them. Occasionally, when I am walking or biking around town, a bus will pass me by with a friendly honk, and I will recognize one of my driver friends greeting me. The drivers are one of the transit system’s greatest assets and should be treated accordingly.
I believe the issue of adequate breaks for the drivers is also one of safety, which should be of paramount importance, considering the thousands of passengers who ride the bus each day. If a driver is not well-rested, nor properly nourished, due to a lack of breaks during the route, it could take a toll on her alertness and her ability to maneuver her many passengers safely.

In keeping with a reputation of fairness to public employees, Chapel Hill Transit should grant its drivers the ability to drive routes with adequate breaks built into the schedule to meet their essential personal needs. I consider Chapel Hill Transit to be a top-notch system, and it deserves policies that are fair to its drivers, which, in turn, will benefit the riders and all residents alike.

Todd Schwartz
Chapel Hill Resident