Greek rush policy changed

Performance-based system

The Board of Trustees opted not to defer rush to the spring semester Thursday, concluding a five-month examination of the process.

But now, mandatory deferment can be used by the University as a punishment for chapters that do not satisfy a new set of standards authorized by the board Thursday.

The resolution, which lays the groundwork for a new performance-based recruitment system, was the second of two recommended to the board by the University affairs committee, which conducted the recruitment study.

It charged the Division of Student Affairs with crafting a set of standards Greek organizations must meet. It also established mandatory deferred rush and removal of official recognition as punishments for not meeting the standards.

Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Winston Crisp will be responsible for fulfilling the resolutions, passed unanimously. He said his first step will be to pull together a staff that will create the standards.

The resolution calls for Crisp to present the plan to the committee in January, and for the plan to be in place by Aug. 1, 2011.

Administrators and Greek leaders said they were satisfied with the decision.

Bob Winston, chairman of the board, said the resolution benefits from the fact that it is not one-sided.

“We can put in all kinds of rules and regulations and that will have an effect, but the fraternity system itself has to decide it will do certain things and be held accountable for their actions and improve their actions,” he said.

Crisp said he thought the committee recommended the best option it considered.

“It’s the one that I think has the best chance of affecting real and positive change for the community,” he said.

Committee members cited the fact that they found no definite evidence to suggest spring rush would help freshman assimilation.

But not all trustees were in agreement about the resolution. Roger Perry, a member of the University affairs committee, said he doesn’t think the resolution will improve freshman assimilation into University life.

“I don’t think it addresses the issue of what’s best for first-semester freshmen,” said Perry, who ultimately voted for the recommendation in spite of those reservations.

The committee did not pass the second resolution because the opinion wasn’t unanimous at its Wednesday meeting, said Alston Gardner, the committee’s chairman. He introduced the resolution Thursday after obtaining unanimous support by explaining that a deferral of rush would be too disruptive and would not be the silver bullet for the Greek system.

“I guess it’s been clear that the majority of the board wanted (no deferred rush),” said Perry, the board’s former chairman.

“I support the board. I’m a team player.”

Committee members and campus leaders said throughout the study that they believed the adjustment to college life should be considered, and that spring recruitment would allow students more time to look for more opportunities on campus rather than immediately commit to a Greek organization.

The resolution stated that the standards that must be met must focus on both academic performance and social behavior.

Winston said academic behavior will be judged primarily on grade point averages, and that social behavior will be incident-based.

Brent Macon, president of the Interfraternity Council who was elected Nov. 11, said he was excited for the opportunity ahead.

“We’d love the chance to prove ourselves,” he said.

University Editor C. Ryan Barber contributed reporting.