New Greek policies mandate spring rush, make fall rush a privilege

Spring rush required, fall rush a privilege

After holding their breath for five months, members of the Greek community responded with a deep sigh of relief to new rush policies unveiled at the Board of Trustees meeting earlier this month.

“Everyone’s pretty excited [rush] isn’t exclusively in the spring,” said Brent Macon, president-elect of the Interfraternity Council.

The policy will require Greek organizations to offer a spring recruitment, while the privilege of fall rush will be contingent upon good behavior.

It will also limit the time potential recruits spend on Greek activities during rush and encourage upstanding behavioral and academic performance.

But even with fall rush preserved, members said questions remain.

Despite having an option for two recruitment periods, Greek leaders said confusion has circulated through the community.

Several Greek community leaders said members have questioned the reasoning behind the policy, the level of strictness that will be applied and whether the policy will be tailored toward each of the four Greek Councils: Interfraternity Council, Greek Alliance Council, National Pan-Hellenic Council and Panhellenic Council.

“I will be disappointed to see a one-size-fits-all solution for all four Greek councils,” said Davis Willingham, president of the UNC chapter of Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity. “All the organizations are very different. It will be pretty difficult to implement one set of guidelines.”

Macon said he heard concerns over the strictness of new GPA regulations which will be discussed in the spring, though he said the goal of the new policy is to encourage academic excellence as a whole.

Lindsey Stephens, president-elect of the Panhellenic Council, said Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Winston Crisp has set a January deadline to create progress reports for starting execution of the policy.

“We’ll know what direction we’re going in January, but everything won’t be set in stone until Aug. 1,” Stephens said.

Had it not been for high-profile attention within the past 18 months, Willingham said the resolution might not have arisen. The resolution is unfair, he said, because other campus groups that demand similar time commitments did not receive new regulations.

Kayte Fry, coordinator of fraternity and sorority life, said fraternity and sorority members are pleased with the attention that the board has given the Greek community.

“I think that everyone appreciates the Board of Trustees taking an interest in our student population,” Fry wrote in an e-mail.

Tucker Piner, outgoing president of the Interfraternity Council, has watched the process of the policy change for much of his term.

Despite the end of his tenure, Piner said he feels he can advise both sides in forming a cohesive plan that will appease all parties involved.

“We’re all working for the same mission.”