A change in regulation for the Humans vs. Zombies game on the UNC-Greensboro campus eased community concerns, but at the cost of some student participation.

Eliminating the use of Nerf blasters was the main rule change to the game this semester, said UNC-G Campus Chief of Police Jamie Herring.

The game now uses socks and marshmallows instead, said Sebastian Fernandez, the moderator for Humans vs. Zombies and a UNC-G student.

The change was made after more than a dozen complaints were reported during last spring’s version of the game, he said.

One complaint concerned a student who dressed in camouflage and climbed on top of the school’s financial-aid building with a Nerf blaster, he said.

But Fernandez said eliminating the Nerf blasters defeats the purpose of the game.

“Our first thoughts about the rule change were that this would kill the game,” Fernandez said.

Fernandez said participation dropped to 160 people compared to 410 people in the spring.

Grace Peeler, Humans vs. Zombies mission designer at UNC-CH, said they had wanted to use the example of UNC-G to get permission to use Nerf blasters during the game. But the revisions mean UNC-G can no longer be used as an example.

“We got the blasters approved for a test trial this past game and since we haven’t had any complaints about the use of them, we assume that next semester we will be allowed to use them as well,” Peeler said.

She said about 500 players participated in the UNC-CH fall version of the game.

This is the first time they have used Nerf blasters at UNC-CH.

In addition to the rule change at UNC-G, an e-mail was sent out to the community so it would be aware of the game, Fernandez said.

Fernandez said he hopes after meetings with the administration and campus security, the use of Nerf blasters will be restored.

“Campus activities and programs are about getting students involved,” he said. “I’m hoping that they are more receptive to the game than the other departments that are mainly concerned about safety.”

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.