DPS hears complaints for transportation plan

Students, staff voice opposition

4835_transport_folo_mary_koenigf.jpg

Jeff McCracken and Dean Penny held a discussion and presentation on their new five-year plan for transportation and parking at UNC in 2011. 

Concerned members of the University community voiced opposition to increased parking fees ordered by the new five-year plan Tuesday at a forum hosted by the Department of Public Safety.

Students and faculty complained primarily about two proposed changes: a $9 hike in student fees to cover nighttime parking costs and the introduction of a $250 permit for the Employee Commuter Alternative Program.

The plan would also raise the transportation fee from $73.50 to $142, an increase of 93 percent, during the next five years.

Explaining that the fees are necessary to offset a $6.1 million increase in transportation costs by the 2015-16 fiscal year, DPS Chief Jeff McCracken said the department is primarily targeting those who don’t already pay for parking to shoulder some of the burden.

“The plan is really designed to meet our financial obligations,” McCracken said.

“We are not attempting to regulate parking through this,” he said. “We are just trying to create revenue from those not paying.”

Students also expressed concern about overcrowding in parking decks after 5 p.m.

But Cheryl Stout, assistant director for parking services, said the proposed five-year plan will not seek to remedy that concern.

Faculty members protested the change to the Commuter Alternative Program, which currently provides employees a free space in park-and-ride lots.

The five-year plan would require users of the park-and-ride lots to purchase permits for $250, said Dean Penny, a consultant with Kimley-Horn and Associates, the firm hired by DPS to help organize the plan.

This portion of the plan would go into effect in 2013.

“It’s the most expensive component of the system,” Penny said.

“It’s over $3 million to provide parking for the park-and-ride lots, and there’s no revenue there.”

Deannie Holt, registrar and assistant director for enrollment management at the School of Nursing, said she disapproved of the change.

“I think it stinks,” she said. “I can’t use the occasional permit and I’m not going to pay $250 a year for the park and ride.”

Penny said the average annual cost per space on campus is $650, making the University’s parking costs comparable to those of University of California-Los Angeles and Harvard University.

“We just know the costs we have now and the obligations we have to meet,” McCracken said. “Will we adjust the system?”

“Sure.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.