Senior class president candidates speak out: Drescher, Saad stress class unity, involvement

4407_senior_candidates_2_melissa_keyf.jpg
Senior Candidates Dean Drescher and Mohammad Saad.

Dean Drescher and Mohammad Saad are unbeatable when they’re together.

Or so says their campaign manager, Spencer Beasley.

“If they are together, they are like an unstoppable force,” Beasley said of the team running for senior class presidents.

Drescher, a journalism and religious studies double major, said she was inspired to run for the position by former student body president Eve Carson.

“When I was a summer editor for The Daily Tar Heel, I wrote a column about Eve Carson,” Drescher said. “I was inspired by her commitment to help her classmates.”

Saad, a health policy and management major, said he first became interested in the position when he became involved in First-Year Focus Council, a student government organization for freshmen.

“I saw a class unity that I didn’t expect in college,” he said. “I didn’t see it as much though in other levels of student government.”

This sense of class unity is what the pair said they hope to bring the senior class. They plan on offering events that will appeal to all groups in the class. Senior trivia nights, picnics on the quad and movie nights are included in their social platform.

They also said they want to make service opportunities more accessible to seniors.

“We understand that since it’s their last year, sometimes seniors check out and take a step back from service,” Saad said.

To keep seniors involved in service, Drescher and Saad said they will create a calendar database that will list less time-consuming service opportunities, such as school supply drives.

Beasley said she thinks Drescher and Saad complement each other, which will help them if elected.

“Wherever one is lacking, the other person takes their place.”

Saad said they had fewer signatures because they stopped trying to get more once they reached the required 250.

“We saw it as a checklist,” he said. “Once we got what we needed, we moved on to the next step.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.