Panel discusses need for civil discourse in politics

Builds toward speech by Park51 imam

4829_civil_discourse_bailey_seitterf.jpg
Before the panel on civil discourse begins, Andrew Perrin, a UNC associate professor of Sociology, and Elizabeth McCain, a junior history major and co-chair of Campus Y and moderator of the program, talk. The discussion is part of a series leading up to March 16. Next Tuesday's panel will be on religious pluralism. During his talk, Perrin mentioned the idea that cable TV has caused Americans to have less exposure to opposing political viewpoints save for caricatures.

Working as chief of staff for U.S. Rep. Alex McMillan, R-N.C., Frank Hill remembered a constituent’s phone call in which he heard curse words he had never heard before.

It wasn’t a product of today’s partisan discourse. That, he said, was more than 15 years ago.

“I don’t know the period where we were so good to each other,” he said Tuesday in a panel discussion on the state of civil discourse in the United States.

Hill joined Ferrel Guillory, a journalism professor, and Andrew Perrin, a sociology professor, in part one of a three-part panel series entitled “Civil Discourse in American Society.”

The discussion, led by Elizabeth McCain, co-president of the Campus Y, sought to explore the current political climate, past trends in bipartisanship and to recommend ways to improve the state of civil discourse. About 15 people attended.

The discussion of current problems pointed to the media as a culprit, where political discourse is rampant in what Guillory called “yell television.”

Hill told the audience to turn off the hate-spreading television that is filled with out-of-context sound bites and instead read a book on historical political science.

Guillory said a renewal of professional journalism needs to occur, one that focuses on a renewal of strong, independent opinions.

The United States has had a long tradition of a boisterous democracy of incivility, he added, including the Civil War and presidential assassinations.

“If you read about the forming of the Constitution, those guys that went to Philadelphia did not agree with each other,” Hill said. “Somehow, out of the magic of it, they went to the bars together, smoked together … and were able to compromise.”

Hill said he recommends that all people, whether politically active or inactive, invite another person out to a bar and have a social dialogue.

“It’s hard to agree with someone if you hate them,” he said.

Guillory then pointed the finger to individuals, emphasizing the importance of compassion.

“Ideas matter,” he said. “Words matter.

“But what really matters is how we treat each other. We’re connected to the world and not talking to each other.”

Joshua Miller, a graduate student in political science who attended the forum, said he wished more students would take advantage of forums provided by the University.

“These forums are more educational than classrooms because it brings together such a rich community of scholars,” he said.

Part two of the series, “Religious Pluralism in American Society,” will take place March 1. The series will culminate in the March 16 Weil Lecture on American Citizenship, which will be delivered by Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf, the controversial Islamic leader heading the promotion of Park51, commonly known as the “Ground Zero mosque.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.