DTH editor candidate: Ryan Barber wants a better website, new business section

Photo: Barber to improve website (Lauren Vied)

Junior Ryan Barber aims to add business news content, enliven online coverage and encourage writers to take ownership of story ideas.

Ryan Barber has come a long way from writing about urinals on campus, his first assignment for The Daily Tar Heel.

As a freshman at the time, Barber never dreamed he might one day be running for editor-in-chief.

But after serving as a staff writer, assistant editor and now University editor, Barber said he wanted to give back to the paper that taught him so much.

“I want to be editor-in-chief because of how much this newspaper means to me,” he said.

If elected, Barber said he would create a more involved writing process for staff writers, update the website more frequently and provide more transparency for readers.

He would also add a weekly business section, which would cover university, city and state trends.

“My vision for the business section would be to localize economic trend stories to the Chapel Hill area,” Barber said.

He said one of the most rewarding experiences for him this past year has been seeing how far new writers have come.

He wants to provide more support for new writers by creating more training sessions and encouraging writers to be more involved in coming up with story ideas, Barber said.

“We’re all training the future of this paper,” he said.

Andy Thomason, assistant University editor, described him as a capable leader.

“He would take the paper in a very progressive direction,” he said.

“He is one of the most hardworking people I’ve ever met.”

Barber said he wants to enliven the DTH website by posting updates throughout the day.

“Our job is to empower citizens to know what is going on in the community and to become more knowledgeable,” he said.

Barber, who is from Pennsylvania, worked at his hometown newspaper, The Times Leader, in high school. And last summer, he interned at the Cape Cod Times.

Susan Moeller, news editor for the Cape Cod Times, said Barber was dedicated and passionate but also had a sense of humor.

“We had a great time working with him,” Moeller said.

Barber will be interning at The St. Petersburg Times this summer.

And although Barber has big ideas for the DTH, he said being editor-in-chief would above all just be a tremendous honor.

“I take nothing more seriously than The Daily Tar Heel’s role as the newspaper of record in Chapel Hill and for the University.”

Contact the State & National Editor at state@dailytarheel.com.