DTH editor candidate: Steven Norton focuses on outreach

Photo: Norton focuses on outreach (Lauren McCay)
Steven Norton

Steven Norton says he would take a bullet for The Daily Tar Heel.

DTH managing editor and a junior comparative literature major from Elizabeth City, Norton has experience in almost every part of the paper’s production.

After copy editing, writing city news, editing summer city news, leading the copy desk, being assistant University news editor and now a managing editor, Norton said he is ready for the next step.

“My time and experience here has given me the perspective to push forward,” Norton said.

If chosen by the selection committee, Norton has several priorities for the paper.

He wants to make staff orientation into an all-day boot camp.

“My goal is for them to feel able and ready to come in and work the next day, no hesitations,” he said.

Norton would also make it a priority to reach out to alumni readers and revamp online content.

“What I want to create is an online mentality for the whole newsroom and not just the online staff,” he said.

Lastly, Norton hopes to help staff members grow as journalists.

“I want to use the experience that I’ve had to help each person grow and then take a step beyond that,” he said.

Students of the World Program Manager Courtney Irving said Norton did just that last summer.

“He has a great ability to communicate with people in a way that makes them want to work with him,” she said.

Norton was the producer of a documentary team that traveled to Tanzania to chronicle the use of water purifying packets distributed by Children’s Safe Drinking Water.

Team member and UNC senior Megan Gassaway said the team always depended on Norton to introduce them to villagers.

“When there is a job to be done, he does not hesitate to get it done,” she said.

Jenny Smith, copy co-editor for the DTH, said she thinks he is the best man for the job.

“I think Steven has a lot of real experience that isn’t matched by any of the other candidates,” she said.

Outside of the DTH, Norton has played club volleyball and served as a resident advisor. This summer he will intern with The Charlotte Observer.

But Norton’s main focus is next year’s DTH.

“We are going to be bold, we are going to be innovative in our design, and we are going to do great journalism,” he said.

Contact the State & National Editor at state@dailytarheel.com.