Pro Day brings coaches, players to UNC

Austin, Little and Quinn make return to North Carolina

Photo: Pro Day brings coaches, players to UNC (Erin Hull)
Yates

Pro Day at North Carolina is the football equivalent of graduation — football players who played at North Carolina work out at an official UNC event for the last time in their collegiate careers.

While the chance to work out for scouts from the NFL is largely exciting for the players, there is also a twinge of bittersweet finality added to the proceedings.

“I’m going to miss Carolina,” former UNC running back Johnny White said. “Just the experience, the fans here, the social life and stuff like that, but it is a stepping stone, and now I have to move on with my life.”

Only this year, there was a sense of novelty, as well. Marvin Austin, Greg Little and Robert Quinn — none of whom played a down this season after they lost their eligibility — were added to the cadre of seniors.

“It gave everybody a bit more energy,” UNC quarterback T.J. Yates said. “They were always leaders on our team, and part of our whole senior class. Obviously it created a huge buzz out here with the scouts around.”

Quinn, Little and Austin were openly contrite about their roles in UNC’s investigation and subsequent season.

“We’re all humans,” Quinn said. “We all make mistakes, I just made mine at a crucial time. Like I said, it was a mistake, but I’m not perfect.”

Austin said that the biggest annoyance from the last season, aside from not playing, was all the negative press that he felt he had to suffer.

“My whole family is from D.C., and my mom had to go to work every day, where people were talking about her son being a knucklehead,” Austin said.

Regardless of the negative publicity, every player seemed to welcome the prospect of those players being put back in the mix.

“It was good, because those dudes are like brothers, all of us,” White said. “You’re just out there working out with your brothers.”

UNC coach Butch Davis said one of the reasons those three were allowed to join was in honor of what they did achieve at North Carolina.

“They are Tar Heels,” Davis said. “They’ve been here. They certainly played a huge role in our previous successes, getting us to bowl games in previous years.”

The Pro Day brought out droves of NFL scouts, but their presence at events like this is more or less assumed.

More surprising is that five NFL head coaches were in attendance. Mike Tomlin of the Pittsburgh Steelers, Ken Whisenhunt of the Arizona Cardinals, Lovie Smith of the Chicago Bears, Jim Schwartz of the Detroit Lions and Ron Rivera of the Carolina Panthers all watched the players get put through the paces.

“You’ve got to go where the players are,” one Oakland Raiders scout said. “And there sure are a lot of players here.”

One of those players is Yates, the holder of an overwhelming 32 school passing records at North Carolina. Davis said that Yates was on target for 110 of his 112 throws on the day in passing drills.

Yates is looking to overcome an ominous precedent with his NFL career. In UNC history, no Tar Heel quarterback has ever taken a regular-season snap at quarterback in the NFL, Yates said.

“That’s my first goal,” Yates said. “I’ll take it from there after that happens.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.