Republicans open Hillsborough office to increase visibility

After seeing a larger turnout in the November elections, the Republican party has opened up a permanent office in Orange County.

In order to strengthen its presence in the area, the party will use its new Hillsborough office — located at 347 Ja-Max Drive — to provide voters with easy-to-access information.

“There was a good need for the Republican Party to be represented year-round,” said Bill Knight, chairman of the Orange County Republican Party.

Knight said the new office will provide the party with a way to spread information, host events and recruit potential members and candidates.

“You want to reach like-minded people with the same values as you,” he said.

The location has served as the party’s base during past elections but has only operated as a temporary office.

Former Republican Board of Orange County Commissioners candidate Greg Andrews rented the space with his own money from December to February to hold the space for the party because he knows how hard it is for political groups to find a place to meet.

“If we’re going to help the party grow, we have to make a strong presence,” Andrews said.

The building became the official party office after a unanimous vote by the Orange County Republican Party board, and the office went under the party’s name Wednesday.

Orange County Commissioner Earl McKee, the Democratic candidate who beat Andrews in November’s election, said he is unsure of the impact a Republican party office will have in the county.

“It’s a largely Democratic county,” he said. “It won’t change the makeup of Orange County, but it will make them more visible.”

McKee said the impact may not be seen until the fall municipal elections.

“That’s when you will be able to look back and see the influence of a Republican office,” he said.

Despite his affiliation, Andrews said he doesn’t vote straight ticket and doesn’t suggest other party members do either.

“People are more open to voting for the person, not the party,” he said.

Knight said he agrees with this sentiment and that most people identify with being a conservative more so than a member of the Republican Party.

Andrews said he hopes that with an increased presence in the county, the party will begin to reach out to Democratic and African-American communities.

“At least give us the courtesy of listening,” he said.

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.